envoy build - ssa 10" gcon

redrider
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
i started this up in the SSA's topic section but figured i would start up an actual build log. the plans were to originally put the equipment into the s10 i had but i traded it off before i could even start the build.

equipment includes

1 - 10" ssa gcon d2 sub

1 - ppi black ice series 1300.1D amp

going in a 2006 gmc envoy

will be building a semi stealth box for the passenger side rear cargo area. box will be right around 1 cube(slightly bigger) and tuned @ 34 hz with a 3" port.

well anyways it has begun... didnt get where i wanted because my drill wasnt charged and died on me. also the blue painters tape i bought wont stick to the plastic panel so i will either have to try another brand of blue tape or come up with another option... anyways here is the start of what i hope will be a nice box.

and the "NEW" truck that the Gcon will call home

oh and the kickers i didnt install... they came with the truck so once i finish this build they will be up for sale with the kenwood amp that is powering them. i also need to get rid of the HU that came with it and upgrade(truck came with a jensen 7" flip out with BT, nav, usb etc..... nothing wrong with it just it blocks my ac vents lol)

tuned in, built one similar. looked great sounded not so good.

yeah im hoping i can get some decent sound out of it..... i opened up that cubby area to try and get more space for the sub(going to make a mold of it) sub will be place directly in front of the cubby hole and the port on the opposite way of the box facing into the cargo area.

well this thing is almost ready to start glassing the mold.... just gotta lay down some foil and tape to hold it up then can glass... hopefully i will be able to get a layer or two done saturday....

anyways i had a idea of doing the back wall wood and just molding the cubby to it as pictured below but i scratched that idea after trying to get it to line up and the one end breaking on me. so with that said the only mdf will be the base and trying to possibly have a small top piece but we shall see....

the back wall i tossed to the side

start of the tape job(which btw ***** lol)

had to pick up masking tape for the floor and well i got carried away lol

In for more pics. I'll be doing a similar build soon and I'm new to glassing...
ive done a few projects with glass but this is my first job attempting a mold etc.... should see how it goes. gotta pic up some resin and matte tomorrow so saturday i can start the fun part(the body work is the worse part for me)

Instead of tape everywhere, I use tin foil with tape on seams. Covers easy, no gooey tape mess, fiberglass sticks just fine, mold pops right out.

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

Instead of tape everywhere, I use tin foil with tape on seams. Covers easy, no gooey tape mess, fiberglass sticks just fine, mold pops right out.
IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg
looks good....

my next step is to lay down foil then start the mold. how may layers did you lay down before popping the mold off and trimming?

Not many, 4 or so. You might want to do more, but I dont think it needs to be 1/2 thick or anything crazy, especially for a piece with a lot of curves. If you have big flat areas and are worried about flex, you can use mdf in those places or fibergass some rope in for structural support.

Not many, 4 or so. You might want to do more, but I dont think it needs to be 1/2 thick or anything crazy, especially for a piece with a lot of curves. If you have big flat areas and are worried about flex, you can use mdf in those places or fibergass some rope in for structural support.
thanks.... i was going to try 3-4 and see how that turns out before pulling it

well not much done or update since its pouring and cold here today in Jax, FL

anyways i wasnt going to let that stop me on making some headway on this project so i brought the foil out and did my thing

also i started shaving my emblems on the truck.... had to do some wetsanding and buffing to get rid of the shadow. anyways here is a before and after of the drivers side(still gotta do the rear gate and passenger's side....need fishing line)

Looking good man.

Foil is always the way to go...much faster and easier to work with for sure. Just be sure to tape any/all seems.

My buddy has one of those trucks...they are nice trucks and his loved systems.

Looking good man.
Foil is always the way to go...much faster and easier to work with for sure. Just be sure to tape any/all seems.

My buddy has one of those trucks...they are nice trucks and his loved systems.
thanks... if only the weather would work with me so i can start glassing. yeah im loving the truck so far. do miss my s10 though but this truck will be slowly built up to what the s10 was if not better. biggest part i miss is parking and laying my truck out.....the voy will be at that point come next year though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.