Elevate Sub?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ruthless Pastor
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Would elevating a sub off the floor lessen the amount of bass going through the floor? It's a hypothetical question as I don't have a sub yet, but wish to get one for my apartment. I live on the top floor and am concerned about pis*ing off the people below me. Would it also affect sound quality? I've heard that bass is "omnidirectional" so it shouldn't matter, but don't know if I buy that or not.

most subs come with feet or someting to elevate it off the floor, but as far as pissing off your neighbors less...i doubt it.

Make freinds with them and then experiment and have them tell you which is least annoying.

p.s. bass really is omni directional, but the vibrations from the movement of the sub and box might add to the annoyance going through the floor

Depending on the sub, they do have a dispersion pattern. Down firing subs are what could be considered Omni, but front firing, such as mine, are slightly directional. It depends on the box, the driver, and the positioning if it is directional or not.

As for the vibrations, a lot of the sub sonic data is transferred as the sub couples with the floor, so isolating it will loose some of that ultra low frequency information. I would say your best bet is to leave it on the spikes or whatever it comes with and just turn the volume at a good level that won't piss anyone off....

Okay, this brings up another question then. Are there any budget front-firing subs that are decent? I'm talking $200 or less. If not, I'll make just purchase one of the Dayton subs and make nice w/ the peeps downstairs. Thanks for the info, btw.

Okay, this brings up another question then. Are there any budget front-firing subs that are decent? I'm talking $200 or less. If not, I'll make just purchase one of the Dayton subs and make nice w/ the peeps downstairs. Thanks for the info, btw.

Get the dayton 12" 150w sub. Its awesome. I live in an apartment aswell but i just keep the gain low. Especially at night;)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.