Electrical problem? (help)

Participant count
  • Participant list

DatAudio
10+ year member

Michigan
When my bass hits my headlights dim and when my interior lights are on, they dim too. They don't dim real bad but enough to notice if you're looking at them. Will this cause any electrical problems that I might have to fix in the future?

look up big 3 and get a deepcycle agm battery to replace your stock battery and the dimming if not bad now should go away almost completely.

Maaaaaan I just wanna know if this **** is bad.
well voltage drops are common with a audio system so in short no it won't hurt anything can it be better yes since your car was not designed from a audio stand point there are improvements to be made later on.

also the big three is a far from permanent thing to do or un-do and even if you don't want to do that right now there is nothing in the warranty stopping you from putting in a yellow top!

Your alternator is working harder,as well as the battery keeping up with the current draw/basicly electrical starvation,is why it flickers/Jolts.You can do the Big three for under $50/Lunches for a almost a week for me..Just turn it down till you get it done

Oh I hear ya. It doesn't bug me at all and I don't have the money or time to do the big 3. I just want to know if my alternator or anything else will go out if I don't do anything.

Oh I hear ya. It doesn't bug me at all and I don't have the money or time to do the big 3. I just want to know if my alternator or anything else will go out if I don't do anything.
You just never know with electrical components/parts.Brand new, have lasted me as much as a week(alternator,a battery 4months) due to issues with the brand new units bought.I went through 4 alternators before I actually got one that worked properly on a 93 civic from Orileys,and 2 sets of Brand New Redtop Batteries(no longer as good as the old ones,Costco even dropped from selling them)Ive had a stock alt last 3yrs on a 4yr old battery??Its always a gamble with electrical, but you take preventive measures to ensure better current flow,and constant voltage regulation.If you ever have to replace the stock alt.,i recommend getting the biggest one over the counter you can get,before upgrading to an expensive HO alt.And get a good batt.Hell you might be just fine for 1-2 yrs, or you may be only a week away from replacement..Who Actually Knows??

If u dnt have 10-15mins and $20 bucks to do your big 3 then you sir are in the wrong hobby. Do u even monitor ur voltage???

No I don't. That's besides the point. I never said I wanted to fix the dimming, just was woundering what could come from it.
Well since u dnt seem to care about ur voltage and you have no way of checking it then yes it can be very bad. For all u know ur dropping into the 11v range and if thats the case you could do alot of damage to your amps and of course your killing your alt... So yea be cheap now but be prepared to pay alot later..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.