ejschultz' Build Log #2

Participant count
  • Participant list

ejschultz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Because my old log is closed for some unknown reason, here's a link to that and a start of a new one to share my continued interest in car audio...

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/438627-ejschultz-build-log.html

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Alright guys, it's been about a year since I've done anything car audio related. I've been focused too much on my Jeep lately in terms of armor, lockers, accessories, etc to worry about car audio or my Caprice at all. I decided it was time to change that and picked these up. Fi X 12, dual 2 ohm, with a hard dust cap. It took almost a month for them to be built and shipped but they look worth the wait. They should be right at home in the sealed box I have in my car already, which is one of the reasons I chose them.

More to come once I get a feel for them. They're definitely relatively loud to what I had. They seem to blend fairly well with my front stage as well. I have a little tuning to do, I think. I kind of just threw them in there quickly while I had about an hour of free time last weekend.

A couple things...

The Fi's are definitely great subs that I'd recommend to anyone looking to get a decent daily sub without spending an arm and a leg. They're loud, they're clean, they blend well... I'm more than happy with them. They gave me that bump in volume I was missing with the Tidal Audio (IDs) I was running previously. In all honesty, I can't tell a difference in SQ between them either, although I didn't do any A-B tests before I threw the TAs in the attic.

The other thing is my Jeep. The system is coming out. I've already sold the sub. I'm keeping the 9855 in there as well as the TS-D1720Cs. I'm going to run them active right off the head unit and get rid of the amps. I mostly wheel the Jeep now and would like to have some room for recovery equipment and spare parts in the back. The amps aren't going to be sold, nor is my amp link. Those are going to go into storage for the time being. My OCD won't let me get rid of the complete collection of the 2005 V12 series amps and the amp link stuff is just too hard to come by to get rid of it.

I finished up pulling the system out of the Jeep yesterday and ran the speaker wire directly to the back of the HU. As I previously said, I'm now running my 1720Cs actively from the head unit. Surprisingly, it worked. I had my doubts. Equally as surprisingly, it actually sounds pretty decent like that. I think the internal amp on the head unit amplifying a more narrow frequency band lets the amp channels provide more power to those frequencies than spreading it out. There was a big debate on this power distribution when using passive crossovers before with amps. I don't know if anyone ever tested it out using a low power amp where the differences could clearly be audible. Regardless, I'm happy with it. It's done. No more system. My cargo space is freed up for recovery equipment and camping.

That's the difficult part. Not only that, but all the '05 stuff integrates really well. The Amp Link allows my head unit to communicate and control the amps without getting back at the amps and removing the covers to make changes. It also displays the fan status of the amps and the amp temperature on the display of the HU. I get the voltage at the amps as well. It's all really cool how it all works together. The day may come when I want to piece something back together in either my Jeep or another vehicle using this equipment. I'd venture to say it'll be in another vehicle though at this point because the Jeep is very quickly becoming a wheeler only vehicle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.