Dumb gain setting questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jeremy11

Will gains need to be adjusted differently for different speakers on the same amp? Example replace current tweeters with new supposedly better ones. When turning the volume up they sound worse. Take tuning out of the equation I thought a better speaker, more power handling capacity and higher efficiency, would need more gain not less. What am I missing? Also I figured adjustments would be necessary just trying to learn something here. Thanks.

Different speakers same amp = different gain settings.

Higher power handling doesn't necessarily mean "better speaker" and the same goes the other way.
Efficiencies and materials of the speaker will be priority.

Example:

Tweeter #1 - 150w rms 82db 1.1" soft dome

Tweeter #2 - 75w rms 96db 1.1" soft dome

#2 is more efficient with less power and if the same "75w" is given to both speakers, #2 will be louder.

Better sound... well, materials and placement as well as crossover frequency would be the focus here. Is the material different than the speakers being replaced? If so, you may prefer to stay with similar materials if that's what your ear likes... it IS all about what sounds good to YOU.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.