DSP vs Crossover

Participant count
  • Participant list

Grimmjoww

CarAudio.com Veteran
I was going to install a decent analog type crossover but then started looking at the digital stuff. I want to be able to filter hpf and lpf for each channel as well as subsonic for the sub as I don't believe the Taramps have a subsonic filter on them. I'm looking at setting up my 4 channel to run 2 tweets off the front 2 channels and the two mids off the rear 2 channels and want to tune them individually. I do have a crossover function in my head unit but it only goes to 500hz or so max and that's too low for tweets. You guys have any incite?

Those PRV's are the same ones Taramps sell and market. Tbh I haven't heard anything good about them.

I have a refurbished Dayton DSP-408 I can sell for 100 dollars plus 10 in shipping but there wouldn't be a warranty. Unless you bought one aftermarket which you can do these days easy enough.

The best really are the Helix DSP and Audio Control setups with a few others mixed in at mid-level. Dayton are probably the best of the low end ones like the one you have up there from amazon. After that you go to the JBL, Rockford Fosgate and a couple others then you step up into the high end ones. You can pick up used Helix and Audio Controls for around 300-500. I am in the process of selling a used Helix V1 to someone at DIYMA for 300 as long as he comes through this weekend with payment.

Last edited:
For budget DSP the Dayton is your best bet in the under 200.00 shipped range, But even these can have issues too..

I've had my hands on 5 or more and all but one had a ton of noise, There is work arounds but it was not worth the hassle to me. The one that was silent worked great and I would buy another no questions asked If I knew it would perform the same but they are pretty hit or miss.

The low voltage kind of ***** too..

Def Bounce sells the machette DSP.. This is a rebadged Dayton DSP-408

That issue isn't hard to fix and not that much time. Also Dayton fixed that issue as well as it was the early versions that had it. I've known 5 or 6 people with the Dayton and didn't have that noise issue. Easy fix is a dc-dc converter which is what a couple bucks?

Plus you can add bluetooth to it and a wired controller as well which is nice. And now they have Android and Apple app for it also.

Dayton DSP-408 Voltage is 4v which is about normal these days.

Last edited:
I have a PRV DSP. Its ok. There is a noise in them though. I had some low level noise that you can hear with the volume turned all the way down. i thought it was my cheap Timpano class D amps but I hooked the amps up straight through RCAs on the deck and bypassed the DSP and the noise was gone.

That issue isn't hard to fix and not that much time. Also Dayton fixed that issue as well as it was the early versions that had it. I've known 5 or 6 people with the Dayton and didn't have that noise issue. Easy fix is a dc-dc converter which is what a couple bucks?

Plus you can add bluetooth to it and a wired controller as well which is nice. And now they have Android and Apple app for it also.

Dayton DSP-408 Voltage is 4v which is about normal these days.
I didn't say it was hard fix but IMO it's a janky fix.. You shouldn't need to do anything to make it work as intended..

The Noise issues are still present today I've seen dozens of people on diyma return them in the last couple years.. The ones I had were last year as well.

I tried the bluetooth again garbage in imo. In my garage using the 408 with dongle anytime someone walked between my laptop and the 408 the music would cut out..

I was told the voltage was more like 2.5v

I just ordered the evil 6.5 comp set. I want to set the tweets up at 4k hz plus and the mids from 50 Hz to 4k Hz if that sounds right. That's all I'm trying to accomplish, I don't want to run passive crossovers because I will only use 2 channels of the amp that way. Plus I heard passives eat up a lot of power.

Man I'm more confused now than when I started LOL. I have a good buzz on now so I might just take the Jeep out to the back 40, turn it up to 10 and let it eat for 20, 30 minutes. I will give a good listen to some real classical ****, like some Carlos Santana, old Metallica early Van Halen type scenarios. The finish off with some 90's early 2000's wrap with a heavy cymbal. Just gonna sort out where this thing is weak. I have really started throwing money at it, why stop now?

Those PRV's are the same ones Taramps sell and market. Tbh I haven't heard anything good about them.

I have a refurbished Dayton DSP-408 I can sell for 100 dollars plus 10 in shipping but there wouldn't be a warranty. Unless you bought one aftermarket which you can do these days easy enough.

The best really are the Helix DSP and Audio Control setups with a few others mixed in at mid-level. Dayton are probably the best of the low end ones like the one you have up there from amazon. After that you go to the JBL, Rockford Fosgate and a couple others then you step up into the high end ones. You can pick up used Helix and Audio Controls for around 300-500. I am in the process of selling a used Helix V1 to someone at DIYMA for 300 as long as he comes through this weekend with payment.
How do you tune the Dayton? Through a lab top or can you interface with your phone? Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...