DSP Tuning Using REW. A Basic Starters Guide

Participant count
  • Participant list

SkizeR
10+ year member

New York
So for months now i have been getting tons of messages from various people asking me for help about setting up their processors and where to start with tuning. I figured it was finally time to just make a video showing one of many methods to tune. I find this method the easiest for beginners. This is by no way, shape, or form the end all be all. This is just a guide for the basics of EQ'ing your speakers using the parametric eq in your DSP.

First things first. This does not cover crossovers or (much of) time alignment. Check out Kyle Ragsdales video series for that. This just covers what to do after those are set.

For this guide to work, you must set your crossovers electrically the same all using LR -24DB slopes, and time alignment must be set by distance. Use this website to make that last part easy..

http://tracerite.com/calc.html

Gear needed:

1) a processor with parametric eq. this guide will not work for graphic eq.

2) Room EQ Wizard. Its free. Search it and download it

3) A USB Microphone, like the Dayton UMM6 or Minidsp UMIK.

4) A laptop to do your tuning and measurements on

So let me break down the steps via text just in case.

1) set crossovers and TA by distance

2) mute all drivers except for the one you want to measure first

3) measure with mono pink noise. save measurement

4) upload a house curve, then go to REW's Auto EQ tab.

5) set your parameters and target. Match response to target

6) use your parametric eq to copy the filters that REW gives you

7) re-measure to double check. repeat steps 3, 5, and 6 if necessary to match house curve

8) mute that driver and move to next. Repeat steps 3, 5, 6, and 7

9) take the same measurement but with both drivers playing. Determine what is causing any issues if there are any. adjust accordingly

10) Move onto the next pair of drivers and repeat measurements and adjustments

11) Double check by ear

12) adjust TA by ear

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.