DSP tuning for below dummy level

It's your baseline. Some people use it to set a flat curve and then tune to a personal preference.
So the point of Mic is to set everything flat and then the graph tells you for sure that everything is flat and then you figure out where you want everything at and then that's what the second graph is?

Here, Look at this. The red line is one of my old stereos with all EQ's flat, no bass boost or enhancements. See all the peaks and dips? This is how my speakers played pink noise all on their own. The green line is after I adjusted the EQ. The mic is to measure the before (ALL flat settings) so you know what needs to be adjusted and then the after (EQ'ed settings)

before-and-after.jpg

Okay so basically what you doing is you're using the mic and the pink noise to even out everything from the beginning and you check that on the graphs before and after. Then when everything is completely even inside the car you actually start tuning it from there?

That actually makes a whole lot more sense.

Okay so basically what you doing is you're using the mic and the pink noise to even out everything from the beginning and you check that on the graphs before and after. Then when everything is completely even inside the car you actually start tuning it from there?

Yes, as you can see from the red line, this is why you need to EQ.

First measurement with the mic gets you the baseline graph of what your speakers are doing all on their own.

Understand, there will be many measurements as you progress and get more familiar. It's a rabbit hole.

Okay so you set everything at flat on the radio. You set the volume on the radio a couple tics below distortion. Set the gains on the amp where they should be correctly. Turn off the low pass and high pass filter on the amp.

Then you hook the mic into the software however that's supposed to be connected put it in the car where you want everything to be flat from or be tuned from. Do the pink noise thing to see where everything actually is. And then you move everything to where it actually should be so the signals actually flat.

Once you do that then all the stuff that I was talking about that I already know begins from there right?

See it should say that somewhere in one of those tutorials that are on the forum because when you put it that way it actually sounds perfectly logically progressive

By the way, my graph was a learning situation. Don't adjust to how my curve looks. That setting had no highs and no bass. The one below was the beginning of a tune that sounded so sweet... picture it with far less bumps and dips.

20201210-173111-HDR1.jpg

Okay so you set everything at flat on the radio. You set the volume on the radio a couple tics below distortion. Set the gains on the amp where they should be correctly. Turn off the low pass and high pass filter on the amp.

Then you hook the mic into the software however that's supposed to be connected put it in the car where you want everything to be flat from or be tuned from. Do the pink noise thing to see where everything actually is. And then you move everything to where it actually should be so the signals actually flat.

Once you do that then all the stuff that I was talking about that I already know begins from there right?

See it should say that somewhere in one of those tutorials that are on the forum because when you put it that way it actually sounds perfectly logically progressive
Yes, yes and yes. :)

By the way, my graph was a learning situation. Don't adjust to how my curve looks. That setting had no highs and no bass. The one below was the beginning of a tune that sounded so sweet... picture it with far less bumps and dips.

20201210-173111-HDR1.jpg
My EQ settings are normally v-shaped. Unless I'm listening to rock then I have to adjust it to the sound that I like.

My EQ settings are normally v-shaped. Unless I'm listening to rock then I have to adjust it to the sound that I like.
Human ears by design are more tuned to mid frequencies like vocals. Which is our main way to communicate. If you looked at a graph of how we hear it would be the opposite of your V shape EQ settings. When we use that V shape we are making what we hear more flat. Ya follow?

Hey thanks I appreciate it you should probably pin this as complete idiots guide to a DSP in 3 hours or less. Like the Carlos Mencia "Dee De Dee" version.

I guess I'm going to shell out some money for a mic.

Lewis King

Human ears by design are more tuned to mid frequencies like vocals. Which is our main way to communicate. If you looked at a graph of how we hear it would be the opposite of your V shape EQ settings. When we use that V shape we are making what we hear more flat. Ya follow?
So all of this time I've been flattening out the hip hop and EDM music that I listen to? Sounds about right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...