Downfiring sub box

the10man

CarAudio.com Newbie
I don't like the sound of the bass in my F150 downfiring sub box. Can I put ports in it to make it sound better. Some said the same thing about their F150 box but after they ported it, it sounded much better. Deeper bass. Can someone tell me how I can port this box. Thanx

I don't like the sound of the bass in my F150 downfiring sub box. Can I put ports in it to make it sound better. Some said the same thing about their F150 box but after they ported it, it sounded much better. Deeper bass. Can someone tell me how I can port this box. Thanx
doesn't work like that. Ported boxes need to be twice as large as sealed with a pretty big and long port. All you gonna do is make it sound like complete sh*t because it'll be tuned too high, too low port area, you wont get any deep bass, most likely all midbass and you'll have major port noise thats the best case scenario. Worse case scenario is you are tuned too high and you are trying to play bass notes which is far below the box tuning which makes the woofer tear itself apart and unload like mad and blow.

Never ever buy a sealed box for a truck, its the worst box setup possible. Its an expensive lesson but at least now you know to always start off with a custom built ported built by someone that knows what they are doing. Not some cookie cutter garbage **** from some website or ebay/amazon or "custom truck boxes websites"

Never ever buy a sealed box for a truck, its the worst box setup possible. Its an expensive lesson but at least now you know to always start off with a custom built ported built by someone that knows what they are doing. Not some cookie cutter garbage **** from some website or ebay/amazon or "custom truck boxes websites"
I'll admit, I'm a little ignorant when it comes to sub boxes and trucks. I was wanting to do a sealed W3V3 in my reg cab F150. The reason? Because I keep reading that if I want a good flat bass response that sealed is the way to go. I listen to music ranging from classical, rap, country, electronic. I'm looking for a natural reproduction sound hitting all frequencies. What do you recommend? Why don't sealed boxes work well in trucks?

I'll admit, I'm a little ignorant when it comes to sub boxes and trucks. I was wanting to do a sealed W3V3 in my reg cab F150. The reason? Because I keep reading that if I want a good flat bass response that sealed is the way to go. I listen to music ranging from classical, rap, country, electronic. I'm looking for a natural reproduction sound hitting all frequencies. What do you recommend? Why don't sealed boxes work well in trucks?

thats when you talk to people that just go based off of limited experience with no actual practical knowledge and experience on multiple setups or the understanding of cabin gain, overall vehicle acoustics. In a hatchback or trunk, sealed is fine you have a proper loading wall, you have distance for the wave to propogate after reflecting off the loading wall and develop into a full bodied bass sound. In a trunk however, there's literally not much room for the wave to develop nor is there a good loading wall to reflect off of. Sealed is generally the absolute worse type of enclosure for a trunk unless you completely build a sealed off wall like those SPL builds, thats actually the best SQ you can get because its perfect phase however no one wants to go that extreme.

What this all means in actual real world results. Every truck with a sealed box literally has either weak bass thats less loud than the door speakers because of all the cancellation that goes on in an up or downfire configuration or the bass is overly midbass heavy because trucks peak pretty high and you have no deep bass. Most of the times its "you are lucky to have any bass to begin with" scenario thats how garbage of results you can expect with a sealed box in a truck. Every vehicle needs a perfect enclosure suited for how it is. Its not one box fits all

So whats the next best option that retains usability and gets decent results without needing to go all out? where's a good loading wall? The answer is a ported box with the port on the side loading off the rear door. like in this video right here

you need to realize that sealed is only flat out on its own in an open space. Inside a car you are subjected to whatever cabin gain and resonant frequency that car peaks at. If you are lucky, i'll peak low and you get a flat response or it peaks in the middle and you get a semi linear response. However like most undeadened cars straight from factory, you'll be peaking high and you'll sound like an absolute fart box having an extremely high peak around 45 to 55hz, thats far from musically accurate its actually a major headache to listen to and you have absolutely no way to correct that.

At least with a ported, 4th order, 6th order, 1/4 wave transmission line, passive radiator, horn loaded and aperiodic bi chamber boxes, you can tune accordingly to flatten out the frequency response. The perfect boxes could be any of those implemented correctly This is why I tell people that a real box builder would know to check the acoustics in the car and choose a proper box design based on the cabin gain. But literally everyone just looks at the sub recommended specs and builds a box blindly and get mediocre results but claim its a custom ported box... No thats a half as$ed box at best.

thats when you talk to people that just go based off of limited experience with no actual practical knowledge and experience on multiple setups or the understanding of cabin gain, overall vehicle acoustics. In a hatchback or trunk, sealed is fine you have a proper loading wall, you have distance for the wave to propogate after reflecting off the loading wall and develop into a full bodied bass sound. In a trunk however, there's literally not much room for the wave to develop nor is there a good loading wall to reflect off of. Sealed is generally the absolute worse type of enclosure for a trunk unless you completely build a sealed off wall like those SPL builds, thats actually the best SQ you can get because its perfect phase however no one wants to go that extreme.

What this all means in actual real world results. Every truck with a sealed box literally has either weak bass thats less loud than the door speakers because of all the cancellation that goes on in an up or downfire configuration or the bass is overly midbass heavy because trucks peak pretty high and you have no deep bass. Most of the times its "you are lucky to have any bass to begin with" scenario thats how garbage of results you can expect with a sealed box in a truck. Every vehicle needs a perfect enclosure suited for how it is. Its not one box fits all

So whats the next best option that retains usability and gets decent results without needing to go all out? where's a good loading wall? The answer is a ported box with the port on the side loading off the rear door. like in this video right here
Okay.. I'm only working with 600w rms @ 2ohm. But I have enough space to put any sized sub. What would you recommend for SQ? Going behind the seats in a single cab 2013 F150

it all depends on how much bass you want and how much space you are willing to give up in you truck.
Well.. I'd really like the top of the box to also serve as a shelf running the full length of the truck. I don't care how short or tall the height is. That is pretty much all I care about. Having usable space to throw duffel bags of clothes on the top.

but where precisely? rear seats or center console or blow through or under the seat?
See that shelf in the floor? That's the space. It measures to about 11.5" from the back wall. For some reason, mine doesn't have that tan plastic tab. It's a carpeted flat back wall. The maximum space I have is 11"x48"x16". I'm more flexible on the 16", as in, I prefer to adjust that measurement over the 11" and 48".

Attachments

• opplanet-du-ha-behind-the-seat-04-08-ford-f150-regular-cab-black-20105-3jo-ge-f150408bsgs-2010...jpg
    opplanet-du-ha-behind-the-seat-04-08-ford-f150-regular-cab-black-20105-3jo-ge-f150408bsgs-2010...jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
See that shelf in the floor? That's the space. It measures to about 11.5" from the back wall. For some reason, mine doesn't have that tan plastic tab. It's a carpeted flat back wall. The maximum space I have is 11"x48"x16". I'm more flexible on the 16", as in, I prefer to adjust that measurement over the 11" and 48".

you'll want the subs firing forward port to the side. You have about 3.71 cubic feet gross to work with and about 2.5 ish cubic feet to work with so two 10s or one 12. would be optimal.

Which brings me to my next problem. I don't trust these audio shops in Austin TX because the mentality here, now, is maintaining a high work turnover. In the past 5 years the quality of everything has gone down due to the influx of people moving here.

Generally a shop that carries a higher end product does better work with lower turnover. Look for a shop that is a DD Audio dealer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.