Dont know what to build

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jon91v8

CarAudio.com Recruit
Well im planning on making a blow through on my truck but im stuck not knowing on what to make. As of right now i have 4 12s kickers cvr and was planing on doing a sealed box with all 4 of them. Now im thinking i should get 2 better subs such as sundowns and making them ported. What would be louder?
This is how i was going to make mine. This is how my brother in law has his you can hear him from a block away no kidding.

The thing is i dont want to use all of my bed space since i have a crew cab with a short bed. My available measurements is exactly this i made. The back where the lenght is 49 is the it would be between the wheel wells.

Last edited:
The thing is i dont want to use all of my bed space since i have a crew cab with a short bed. My available measurements is exactly this i made. The back where the lenght is 49 is the it would be between the wheel wells.View attachment 21399View attachment 21400
I've heard 6th orders are notoriously hard to get right for designers without a ton of trial and error. Idk how many you've designed.
I definitely would keep the subs you have. Cvr's arent bad in a good box. And that's a lot of cone area. I'm curious wether the more knowledgeable guys recommend 4th or 6th.
What frequencies do you want to play.?

i was going for 35hz. I havent made any 4th order boxes but i read they require alot more space than regular ported boxes. I've done many ported boxes before, but never for a blow through

Last edited:
i was going for 35hz. I havent made any 4th order boxes but i read they require alot more space than regular ported boxes. I've done many ported boxes before, but never for a blow through
yeah and 6th orders need even more airspace than 4th's. it depends what kind of sound you want to get. 4th to 6th is a preference thing. 4th order will have a smoother frequency response I believe than a 6th. and better cone control. but 6th can be louder across a wider frequency range. and 6th orders are also notoriously windy. which I like. but you will roll off past port tune faster as a trade-off.

That's already a 4th order just completely wrong. Should be double the size, way more port, and wrong ratio. If you don't want to take up alot of bed space drop it to two 12s with a properly designed 4th and it would no doubt play flatter, louder, and sound much better.

This is a 4 12" blow through in an S10. 1 sealed each. 12 ported.
IMG_20150704_190130.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the pic those are some sundowns too. So back to my question if i do drop in 2 12" using 1cuft for sealed and using 6cuft for both ported work? Using the same box that i made for a 4th and using the same setup up as the 4th in the s10 work?
I found this https://www.caraudio.com/threads/final-thoughts-on-4th-order-blow-through.572337/

this is just basics, in case you are unaware.

you said you wanted to peak at 35hz right? that box is tuned in the mid 40's. I heard 4th orders can extend pretty damn low so they are ported high in spl but I wonder what popwar or shredder would think. could that box hit say 29hz pretty hard? The design is better than yours but the tuning of the ratio is important.
I'd do some research on the characteristics on different ratio band passes and figure out which would be the best for your music tastes. i'm not great with bandpasses, I've been researching to upgrade to one myself lately, do that then give your preferences to a good designer with the subs you plan to use and he will design a killer band-pass for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.