Do i need to upgrade my alternator to get to 14.4v?

No. He definitely did not need to upgrade the battery for 850 watts (59 amps). He did it thinking it would improve the voltage. The voltage regulator controls the voltage. On older vehicles the alt controls the voltage with it's internal voltage regulator. On newer vehicles the voltage is externally regulated by an ECU. Depends on the make/model/year. Op has not said what vehicle it is on, and so we don't know how the voltage is regulated yet.

OP has also NOT SAID whether or not that 13v is a constant steady, whether or not the stereo is even on, or whether they were talking about when the bass hits.

All we know is they upgraded the battery. That wasn't going to effect the voltage, and it wasn't needed for 850 watts.
13v when its on steady but when its running it goes up 2-3. When its off its 12v

No. He definitely did not need to upgrade the battery for 850 watts (59 amps). He did it thinking it would improve the voltage. The voltage regulator controls the voltage. On older vehicles the alt controls the voltage with it's internal voltage regulator. On newer vehicles the voltage is externally regulated by an ECU. Depends on the make/model/year. Op has not said what vehicle it is on, and so we don't know how the voltage is regulated yet.

OP has also NOT SAID whether or not that 13v is a constant steady, whether or not the stereo is even on, or whether they were talking about when the bass hits.

All we know is they upgraded the battery. That wasn't going to effect the voltage, and it wasn't needed for 850 watts.
Who said anything about 850 watts? Op never mentioned that

NO, there is some missing information here to determine that. We need to know the vehicle, and If OP is running 13v with it completely off too. 13v running is too low if it's supposed to be 14.4v. If it's a newer vehicle, up to the last 15 years or so, (depending on the make and model), 13v might be what it's supposed to do. If not, then there is a problem before the stereo.
You definitely need a hoa
Whats hoa

Whats hoa
High Output Alternator.

This by itself may not be a fix though. Some vehicles just charge low from the factory or will charge at different voltage depending on various variables like temperature and load and change as you go. You must do some research into where your car is supposed to be charging and see if there's a simple fix to make the stock system charge higher or consider buying a high performance alternator that is internally regulated.

13.0 charging seems unusually low and this may be a problem with your current alternator. I'd look into that first and foremost. If your car is only meant to charge at 13.0 I'd say that's barely adequate to properly maintain a standard battery and you will struggle running any big aftermarket accessories on that.

High Output Alternator.

This by itself may not be a fix though. Some vehicles just charge low from the factory or will charge at different voltage depending on various variables like temperature and load and change as you go. You must do some research into where your car is supposed to be charging and see if there's a simple fix to make the stock system charge higher or consider buying a high performance alternator that is internally regulated.

13.0 charging seems unusually low and this may be a problem with your current alternator. I'd look into that first and foremost. If your car is only meant to charge at 13.0 I'd say that's barely adequate to properly maintain a standard battery and you will struggle running any big aftermarket accessories on that.
Theirs a fuse that boosts voltage that tacoma people use to charge their agm batteries better. Ill try that. Because i feel like the xs power battery i have is being under charged which is why the voltage drops.

Thus way too much wattage on that stock alternator remember over 1000 watts you need an hoa. It’s safer for your electrical system. Especially if your car is at 13 now.

Last edited:
How u figure that? I’m trying to help the op out I know everything about car audio I’ve been installing for years.
i-know-everything-heat-vision-and-jack.gif

Yep been waiting for something like that to show up Spokey,lol.

Seems like someone is a little full of themselves with regards to car audio,lol

NO ONE KNOWS EVERYTHING in Car Audio. Everyone learns something all the time with regards to car audio and tbh that is the same with any subject or topic.

Yep been waiting for something like that to show up Spokey,lol.

Seems like someone is a little full of themselves with regards to car audio,lol

NO ONE KNOWS EVERYTHING in Car Audio. Everyone learns something all the time with regards to car audio and tbh that is the same with any subject or topic.
Anything is boring if there's nothing left to learn about it 😂

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...