Do i need to upgrade my alternator to get to 14.4v?

Honestly I'd do 3 things if I was in the OP's shoes before getting crazy with fixes or buying a ho alternator...find out what the standard voltage range my vehicle charges at, then have the battery and the alternator tested to see if they're the problem, and do the big 3 (it's fairly cheap to do and might be all that's needed on a 1k system)

I ran 2 ab 15's off 800w on stock electronical with 4g cca power and ground in my saturn vue (90a alternator and plain old lead acid battery) for a couple months without any real voltage issues...I knew I was gonna go a fair bit bigger power wise and started doing electronically upgrades to support that...only changes I would've made if I was staying at the 80p-1k range is an agm under the hood, big 3, and swapping power and grounds out with copper...

He said on the second page he's running 2800w
That's fine. I responded to the guy who said you need to upgrade alternator for 1kw, and I stand by that.
U need to have a big agm batt in the vehicle as well for 2800.i can get away with that on my crescendo 2500 @1 ohm on 1 sub..if adding a extra batt doesnt do it,then also add a Hoa.
Most people don't understand that alternator helps with a constant draw, and battery helps with sporadic or intermittent draw. There is a delay between electrical demand and alternator supply regardless of alternator capacity.

What’s the goal here OP? If you want 14+V out of your alt, look here. I have the MK4 version on my V6 ‘06 Tacoma. You place this in the “ALT-S” circuit in the under hood fuse box, and adjust it as needed. I have mine set to add .4V on my MechMan Alt. I run at 14.6V cold and 14.3V hot. I suggest the MK4 version, so you can dial in the boost, not just the .5V the other 2 supply. And no, there are no negative effects. I’ve had my booster for 14 years, and I’m only on my second alt.

*NOTE*. This will NOT increase amperage, just voltage.

Last edited:
Yep been waiting for something like that to show up Spokey,lol.

Seems like someone is a little full of themselves with regards to car audio,lol

NO ONE KNOWS EVERYTHING in Car Audio. Everyone learns something all the time with regards to car audio and tbh that is the same with any subject or topic.
I agree with this statement. Ive been in Car audio for over 25 years, and I still dont know everything.... prob never will

You either have stock in high output alternators or you don't understand their role.
I found out that tacomas alternator d
What’s the goal here OP? If you want 14+V out of your alt, look here. I have the MK4 version on my V6 ‘06 Tacoma. You place this in the “ALT-S” circuit in the under hood fuse box, and adjust it as needed. I have mine set to add .4V on my MechMan Alt. I run at 14.6V cold and 14.3V hot. I suggest the MK4 version, so you can dial in the boost, not just the .5V the other 2 supply. And no, there are no negative effects. I’ve had my booster for 14 years, and I’m only on my second alt.

*NOTE*. This will NOT increase amperage, just voltag

*NOTE*. This will NOT increase amperage, just voltage.
Yes, for now im waiting and im going to try the .5v diode booster since its cheaper. But if that doesnt work then ill upgrade to the adjustable voltage booster. I have a xs power battery and my stock alternator is undercharging the battery thats why i wanted to boost the voltage and i think thats whats causing voltage drop too.

I found out that tacomas alternator d

Yes, for now im waiting and im going to try the .5v diode booster since its cheaper. But if that doesnt work then ill upgrade to the adjustable voltage booster. I have a xs power battery and my stock alternator is undercharging the battery thats why i wanted to boost the voltage and i think thats whats causing voltage drop too.
Tacomas alternator doesnt charge 14v and up. Thats why tacoma people get the booster to charge their agm batteries.

Yep been waiting for something like that to show up Spokey,lol.

Seems like someone is a little full of themselves with regards to car audio,lol

NO ONE KNOWS EVERYTHING in Car Audio. Everyone learns something all the time with regards to car audio and tbh that is the same with any subject or topic.
The day you decide you know everything is the day you stop learning. Learning is the opposite of frustration.

You are correct. But remember, this only maintains AGM batteries, it’s not a magic bullet. If you have voltage drop, it may mean you have to do the big3 upgrade. Cheaper than an alt for sure.
Big 3 does not help voltage drop. I'm running out of energy to correct rumors.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...