Decided on sub, now for the amp

Troponin

Texas
I have done a ton of internet searches, and interestingly, many of the best hits came to this site. Choosing a sub seems like a much simpler task than choosing an amp. I have been out of the car audio world for doing on almost 20 years. I have always enjoyed them, but my money always ended up in other things (fast cars). So this site helped me pick my sub before I even registered!

I think I am going to go with a Sundown Audio 12. I have a Dodge Charger and it's been a long time since I had a vehicle with a trunk and wanted to install an audio system. My last sub was a kicker 10 in a pickup. It was, well, meh. Had it been in a trunk, it would have been very poor.

This time around, I wanted something with higher spl without sacrificing too much sq.

That said, my mind is about to explode trying to catch back up on all the amplifiers. What I worry about are all the amps on the market that are just rated extremely high. I have no idea which ones are "good" anymore.

Can y'all help point me in the direction of a few decent amps that will push this SA 12 well? I have a budget of about $300-350 for an amp. It seems like most of the good amps are in the $500 range or higher, so I am not sure what budget amps are worth their salt.

1000 watts at the ohm you need. Not hard at all. But sound quality comes from a good install and box design. Not so much gear. I'm sure sundown has a 1k in your price range.
Thanks. I Know about how many watts I need, but not all amplifier ratings are equal, and I am insure of which ones are more realistic and which ones are bad.

So Sundown makes some pretty good amps too then?

I have done a ton of internet searches, and interestingly, many of the best hits came to this site. Choosing a sub seems like a much simpler task than choosing an amp. I have been out of the car audio world for doing on almost 20 years. I have always enjoyed them, but my money always ended up in other things (fast cars). So this site helped me pick my sub before I even registered!
I think I am going to go with a Sundown Audio 12. I have a Dodge Charger and it's been a long time since I had a vehicle with a trunk and wanted to install an audio system. My last sub was a kicker 10 in a pickup. It was, well, meh. Had it been in a trunk, it would have been very poor.

This time around, I wanted something with higher spl without sacrificing too much sq.

That said, my mind is about to explode trying to catch back up on all the amplifiers. What I worry about are all the amps on the market that are just rated extremely high. I have no idea which ones are "good" anymore.

Can y'all help point me in the direction of a few decent amps that will push this SA 12 well? I have a budget of about $300-350 for an amp. It seems like most of the good amps are in the $500 range or higher, so I am not sure what budget amps are worth their salt.
sundown ultra over the sundown SA series. Its cheaper and way better of a sub. Its relabeled as CAB ultra now but its the same sundown ultra design from jacob fuller. The SA doesnt hold a candle over the Ultra. 27lbs vs 50lbs of pure power.

http://www.caraudiobargain.com/new-cab-ultra-12-12-750w-subwoofer/

sundown ultra over the sundown SA series. Its cheaper and way better of a sub. Its relabeled as CAB ultra now but its the same sundown ultra design from jacob fuller. The SA doesnt hold a candle over the Ultra. 27lbs vs 50lbs of pure power.
* NEW * CAB-ULTRA-12 12" 750W SUBWOOFER - Car Audio Bargain
Wow! That is one heavy sub.

Does this mean that it will be more power hungry?

Also, would I need the 2 or 4ohm version if going with a mono sub amp?

Wow! That is one heavy sub.
Does this mean that it will be more power hungry?

Also, would I need the 2 or 4ohm version if going with a mono sub amp?
people running the SA 12 gained a whole DB swapping to the Sundown Ultra. They didnt need to add anymore power so overall its a louder and efficient sub aka needs less power to get loud but can handle more power as well. You'll want a D2 if you just use one.

If your just looking for 1-1.2k look into the ppi phantom 1000.1 or the soundstream tn1. Share the same boards, both have been tested and put out over their rms rating. And come in way under your budget.

I came across some information that indicates the Ultra has quality control issues and that's why they killed the project. How is this new company (CAB) doing with it?

I came across some information that indicates the Ultra has quality control issues and that's why they killed the project. How is this new company (CAB) doing with it?
Considering they have a good track record with the cab 1600.1 and jacobs stamp of approval, id say they should be fine.

Considering they have a good track record with the cab 1600.1 and jacobs stamp of approval, id say they should be fine.
Great to hear. I went ahead and ordered. Hearing good things about this sub from the car audio community gives me confidence I will be happy with the choice.

The ultra didnt have a true qc issue. The original coil just couldnt handle double or triple rated power. The coils werent failing at rms. I beat the hell out of my ultra with a sax1200 @1 and had no issues.

The CAB version has a stronger coil

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.