Crossover points for Crystal SSX615 coaxes

Participant count
  • Participant list

beatle
10+ year member

I had an idea a while ago to run components actively off my 9835's internal amp in 3-way mode to preserve space in my Miata. I flaked out on actually buying any components as I just like these Crystal SSX615s so much. It didn't occur to me until recently that I could bi-amp the 615s with the headunit to double the power. The only problem I have is that I don't know the crossover points, just the slopes: 12db for the tweeter, 6db for the woofer.

As Crystal has apparently gone out of business //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif their phone number no longer works and their email bounced as well. Does anyone happen to know what the crossover points would be? If not, where would a good jumping off point be?

Not much response to this, I take it. Anyway, I planned to run some wires this weekend and try out some points (2000, 2500, etc.) at 24db slopes. Before I could try it out I decided to pull the speakers and I'm glad I did. Here's what I found:

02-22-09-ssx615-1.jpg

02-22-09-ssx615-2.jpg

The top shows the rear terminals of which there are only three. The inside shows that one of the terminals connects to two wires inside. I'm really not sure where to go from here as I don't think that these can be run actively - can they?

Over at DIYMA I was told that the tweeter and woofer share a ground. I popped open the tiny little passive crossover and confirmed that. Does this mean I should run both negatives to the single ground if I'm going to be running active?

Ok, I'm a little confused. The ground wire from the speaker tab should run to the deck's ground? I am also powering these from the deck itself using the onboard amp, if that makes a difference. My wiring scheme was to look like this (on the left side as an example)

Front Left + to tweeter +

Front Left - to common -

Rear Left + to woofer +

Rear Left - to common -

I'd also heard a nasty rumor that some decks with 3-way crossovers only apply the crossover to the RCAs, not to the speaker level outputs. I could not find any info to confirm this in the 9835's manual. I do know that the crossovers work fine for the front and rear speakers in 2-way mode, however.

I've had no luck finding any information on this type of setup with a common negative. I'm tempted to start another thread as the original post has nothing to do with my current question.

I can't help you out with the problem with the negatives, but I can help you out as far as the 3-way crossover.

I know personally on my Alpine 9887, the crossovers are applied to both the RCA's and the internal amp outputs. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

Not much help, but hey, it's somethin? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.