Critique My Setup

codyc03

CarAudio.com Recruit
Utah
I am looking to purchase my first sub setup. I am looking for a single 12 in a ported box. I will be building the box and orienting it sub up port back on the drivers side, due to the car being a hatchback. I mainly listen to rap and want good bass to flex and feel without drowning out my other speakers that I will be keeping stock. I have decided on the Skar DDX 12 wired to 1 ohm with the Skar RP 1200 D, along with a 4 gauge wiring kit, 12 gauge speaker wire, and an lc2i. I have noticed that skar gets a decent amount of hate, but that seems to be because of what the owner did. I chose asked because I have a tight budget due to the fact that i’m just a high schooler.

Haven't we been through this a couple times before on other threads about what would be better then Skarbage Subwoofers, their crap quality in amplifiers while sticking to his budget of what he wants to spend?

There’s nothing wrong with skar subs, other than the owner. They are a cheap copy of sundown, but they are cheap. Dollar for dollar, they are worth the money. If I wanted to go with a cheap setup, I’d go with a company like American bass for subs personally. They are good for a decent price as well.

Thank you for the feedback, will probably look for other alternatives.
I have heard a few Skar systems (common around here), they are impressive. I have used a pair of Skar ZVX-8 8" subs that hit pretty hard. Problem was they needed a big box and 1kw to get loud. As far as amp reliability, I have no idea. As long as it is new, warranty should have your back. Just make sure you do not skimp out on the amp wiring kit. That plays a huge role on reliability.

I have heard a few Skar systems (common around here), they are impressive. I have used a pair of Skar ZVX-8 8" subs that hit pretty hard. Problem was they needed a big box and 1kw to get loud. As far as amp reliability, I have no idea. As long as it is new, warranty should have your back. Just make sure you do not skimp out on the amp wiring kit. That plays a huge role on reliability.

I've designed for everything basically. As a box designer, I can tell you that Skar is lazy and inaccurate with a lot of their specs. A lot of their t/s parameters are doodoo, and they literally make the cheapest versions of other subs developed by other companies. They are designed well, in a way, but they are literally cheap copies of other woofers.

American Bass could be considered the same thing, in a way, but I've worked for an AB dealer and talked to the owners of AB several times, and they are cool and I really like their subs. The XFL is one of the most underrated 1000-1500 watt subs on the market. We installed so many XFL's, they always performed and the sound quality, at least on the older ones, actually was better than I expected. They'll dig down low.

I did 3 12's box for Skar, 3 of the ZVX 12's. It was super loud, but I literally had to correct Skar's own t/s parameters because they seemed to take the t/s without ANY woofer break in time, and whoever put those t/s up either was lazy or they didn't seem to know what they were doing. They'll get loud, but I've seen a lot of issues with Skar too. Like this box was super flexing his little extended cab small truck, but Skar does stuff that's really questionable, as far as quality goes.

R
I can tell you that Skar is lazy and inaccurate with a lot of their specs. A lot of their t/s parameters are doodoo, and they literally make the cheapest versions of other subs
I believe you. Most of their lines look like Sundown with minute differences. I think since most of their subs are cut and paste, their R&D department is small. That would partially explain their affordable products.
but Skar does stuff that's really questionable, as far as quality goes.
I saw this in the tinsel lead threads. They broke closest to the voice coil and started slapping against the cone. Thread seemed to be made of cotton, so I cut all of it and glued the tinsel leads to the cone like the old school subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...