Possible blown sub and replacement recommendation.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Flash0214

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys question for everyone here. My system is simple. Need help determining if my sub is blown and if so why? Was I wrong to go with a single 12 2ohm sub?

Head unit: Pioneer with flat eq. No crossovers set
Amp: Kenwood excelon xr901-5
Sub: Pioneer TS-A120B set for 2ohm.
I’ve had this in my car for a year now and my gf took it and said the sound cut out and she needed to turn off car and turn it back on to get it working.
I measured the coils and I get about 4 on one coil and the other I am getting .9

I am figuring she blew this speaker. Can someone let me know the best option I have for this amp? Am I better to get another dbl vc and run it at 2ohm or just go with a 4ohm sub? The box I intend to use is the one with the sub already it’s a ported 12 that will sit in the trunk of sonata.

Thanks

Hey guys question for everyone here. My system is simple. Need help determining if my sub is blown and if so why? Was I wrong to go with a single 12 2ohm sub?

Head unit: Pioneer with flat eq. No crossovers set
Amp: Kenwood excelon xr901-5
Sub: Pioneer TS-A120B set for 2ohm.
I’ve had this in my car for a year now and my gf took it and said the sound cut out and she needed to turn off car and turn it back on to get it working.
I measured the coils and I get about 4 on one coil and the other I am getting .9

I am figuring she blew this speaker. Can someone let me know the best option I have for this amp? Am I better to get another dbl vc and run it at 2ohm or just go with a 4ohm sub? The box I intend to use is the one with the sub already it’s a ported 12 that will sit in the trunk of sonata.

Thanks

oh yea everything works fine with audio system when I unplug the sub from amp.

So is the amp in protect with the sub connected?

I would also suggest measuring for DC voltage at the amps subwoofer channel, subwoofer unhooked, set volt meter to DC volts and measure at the speaker terminals +/-. If one of the outputs failed in the amp or other similar issue leaking DC, it may cause the amp to shut down when connected to a sub. I’ve seen amps and repaired them that died and sent DC to the subs and or speakers.

Did you try one voice coil at a time? That amp should play at low volume even at 1-ohm, and 4-ohm should play fine.

As for other subs, in the event you need one, you’ll have to find one suitable for that enclosure if you’re trying to keep that Pioneer box, I don’t know what the air space is and not going to recommend anything. But I’d also make certain that the Pioneer sub is the issue, and that the amp is functioning properly. That Pioneer sub seems fine for that Kenwood amp, but could have blown from clipping, maybe cranked too high, or too much bass boost, that will surely kill subs. Without going over all the settings in person, hard to say.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...