Couple questions for a unique vehicle.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Pit

Atl
So I've always been a bass head, but I've always had easy vehicles to play with.

About 4 years ago I got my CDL. Few months ago I bought a brand new Kenworth w900L.

Anyone who knows these vehicles knows the audio is complete trash.

Six 4" speakers in the front. 2 overhead facing seats/back. 4 behind the seats facing inboard (2 head level, 2 seat level)

Two 5.25" behind seats facing rear/bunk.

As you can see there isn't much there for low end.

First question is will I be okay with a couple 10s for low end, or will it be best to add 6x9s and then 10s/12s?

I've seen some quality 8s and even heard good things about a few smaller drivers (sundown 6.5s).

Part 2 to the same question is filling the space. I've never dealt with this much space and such small speakers. Last truck was a Volvo that had EIGHT 6.5s and a shallow 10 in stock form. Normally when ive had SUVs ive always gone ported, but I don't have a ton of space to give up (I live in this thing for weeks at a time).

Just the sleeper on this truck is something like 86"x92"x 92".

I just got a new pro star and feel your pain lol. Have you got any room under your bunk?

I don't do over nights in truck anymore. Had a couple of 15s in older truck took up a lot of floor space. I think you'd do fine with a couple of decent quality 8s in a ported box. Or tens for that matter. If the hu is a single din pretty simple to change hu. Trick is finding the right wiring harness. A little searching on web.

I had the over head in your face 5 and 1\4 but just ran them off the front pre outs so I could fade them. Door and rears off rear pre outs.

working on new system. Two tens 2 8 inch woofers 2" mids 1.5 soft doom. Since it's a company warranty truck won't be pulling door panels etc. Single 5 channel amp. Building boxes for speakers. Something like this is an option. Just gotta be creative with speaker placement. Securing speaker boxes as well.

if you have any room under bunk or anywhere closets etc you could use that space. Otherwise you'll have to give up some floor space. I've got a pair of Alpine type r 8 in a Ridgeline that do very well. Could see them doing good in the simi . Only requires around .55 cubic ft net each ported. A lot of other good 8s available though. With the batteries you already have you have a pretty good canvas to build a kick @#$ system.

you might consider a t-line box to go under your bunk with a couple 8's in it for your sub needs. Youd overall be giving up 10" of height but using the surface area of the floor as your enclosure would allow you to fully utilize the benefits of a t-line and reap the most output.

Never heard of T-line.

I wish the sofa/bed stood higher. I had a JL HO110 w6v3 in my Volvo that fit under the bunk, but it's about 4" too tall for this w900L.

Omg I haven't driven a Prostar in 3 years. I could never justify buying one now. If the quality problems with this w9 keep up i will stick with t680s or Volvo in the future.

I definitely think under the sofa is my best place. My only concern there is when I get the TriPac installed.

Currently I have a place about 20" wide, 24" deep, and 10" under the sofa. Or a pocket on each side that is 11h,11w, and 14d.

Would probably do well with a pair of solid 8s.

I'm leaving the headunit because the Kenworth has a single DIN that is also hooked into a 2DIN that is hooked into the ECM for extra gauges.

That under sofa space works out well for this...

W9Z3eM.jpg

Decent lil' subs too... and not too power hungry but will take some power (
them sundown coils). Looks like a set of 8's is how I'd do it in that space.

Never heard of T-line. I wish the sofa/bed stood higher. I had a JL HO110 w6v3 in my Volvo that fit under the bunk, but it's about 4" too tall for this w900L.

Omg I haven't driven a Prostar in 3 years. I could never justify buying one now. If the quality problems with this w9 keep up i will stick with t680s or Volvo in the future.

I definitely think under the sofa is my best place. My only concern there is when I get the TriPac installed.

Currently I have a place about 20" wide, 24" deep, and 10" under the sofa. Or a pocket on each side that is 11h,11w, and 14d.

Would probably do well with a pair of solid 8s.

I'm leaving the headunit because the Kenworth has a single DIN that is also hooked into a 2DIN that is hooked into the ECM for extra gauges.
a t-line is a transmission line subwoofer box designed to take full advantage of (usually) smaller drivers. It uses a rather large maze-like wave form that would likely work well beneath a bunk as they are rectangular and flat-ish

Here's a t-line I just did like 2 days ago

KimXlOW.png

all it is basically is reversing the rear wave phase so that it'll be in phase with the front wave. it's basically an IB, but you can make infinite variants of it.

Tline under the bunk would be the best as others have said... really maximize output and bandwidth with limited cone area. If your lookin to kill some lows and really fill that cabin space with bass... what those guys are saying is the way to go...

t-lines have a fairly wide bandwidth and sound natural because loading behind the woofer is limited, which means only the woofer is controlling the cone, not much air pressure is inside of the line, in general.

T-lines can be hard to fit sometimes due to the required length of the line. Like a ported box, you can stick the port in a few different places, but t-lines are a bit more difficult as far as layout goes.

You could also try a parallel 6th order or maybe even a series 6th but the cabin space being so big, it's difficult for the inside air of the box to create much pressure.

Like ported boxes fall off quickly in large rooms like that, you'd need a small port, more HT oriented setup is what I'm saying.

That under sofa space works out well for this...
W9Z3eM.jpg

Decent lil' subs too... and not too power hungry but will take some power (
them sundown coils). Looks like a set of 8's is how I'd do it in that space.
Is this box completely open to both subs or divided into 2 chambers? Don't think I've ever seen multiple drivers pushing a single port. Then again I'm definitely not very knowledgeable in this area.

Who could build this for me?

Is this box completely open to both subs or divided into 2 chambers? Don't think I've ever seen multiple drivers pushing a single port. Then again I'm definitely not very knowledgeable in this area. Who could build this for me?
Single chamber, single port... why not DIY it?.. it can be done under $100 with tools I think. That is ported for a lot of power... around a 800-900 watt amp IIRC to get to rated power in that box. But seriously... the BEST option is to give up some space if you can and go with a Tline like others have said... That ported box will do ok tho... probably not blow you away tho in semi cabin with a sleeper.

Problem I see with the Tline design is space. I can possibly come out from 24 deep to maybe 30" deep, but it really seems like I would need more space for all of that design.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.