Component install in a civic coupe

Well I pretty much set my mind on the morel Maximo component set and a pair of infinity reference coaxials. The Maximo's seem to be the best quality for the price that I've found and I know the infinities are fairly nice speakers and fairly cheap as well. The only problem there is they won't come with any mounting brackets
I have infinity speakers in my car and im not happy with them at all. Not trying to change ur mind but there are other alternatives. I always tell people, before I came on this site I always thought the best brands were best buy shelf or crutchfield shelf brands, coming on here I've learned there are so many names I've never heard of before but are better than the usual infinity, Rockford, alpine ect. So if anything at least consider and research an alternative to infinity.

Morel is one of those names I've never heard of and get great reviews, I believe the maximos are an affordable component and people say they are awesome. Infinity I don't hear the same about and I been on this site researching speakers myself. From what I've read morel,phd, focal, and some jbl .im sure im leaving some names out but those are what I been researching and getting best reviews.

Get a headunit with 4 or more volts for rca and whatever amp you choose make sure it matches the speaker rms or is over. If you underpower ur speaker u will damage them at high volume.

make sure it matches the speaker rms or is over. If you underpower ur speaker u will damage them at high volume.
This statement is not quite 100% accurate. High volume isn't what damages the speakers with an underpowered amp, driving the amp into clipping is what causes the damage. You can listen at high volumes without clipping the amp. I personally prefer the headroom of having an amp that's more powerful than the rms but again you can damage the speaker this way as well by exceeding the mechanical or thermal limits of the speaker. Generally if you are needing that much volume then it's probably best to add more speakers.

I know that you sell kits with mounting brackets, it just wouldn't be in my budget. Do you sell the mounting brackets seperately?
In general, it seems the easiest way to install speakers where you need a mounting bracket is to just use the stock speaker as a bracket by gutting it and removing everything except the frame and screwing your new speakers into that gutted frame. Then it's guaranteed to fit, well you still need to account for the depth/width of the magnet in case it's a tight fit as well as the amount the new speaker protrudes from the gutted speaker bracket.

The stock door trims/grilles also often have little plastic raised "rings" that fit perfectly around the stock speakers but may not fit around your new speakers and may require cutting/trimming it to fit. I just installed speakers in a 2002 Civic and had a hell of a time with all the issues I mentioned above so hopefully this can help you with your install.

This statement is not quite 100% accurate. High volume isn't what damages the speakers with an underpowered amp, driving the amp into clipping is what causes the damage. You can listen at high volumes without clipping the amp. I personally prefer the headroom of having an amp that's more powerful than the rms but again you can damage the speaker this way as well by exceeding the mechanical or thermal limits of the speaker. Generally if you are needing that much volume then it's probably best to add more speakers.

Maybe im wrong but I was told by an infinity tech that a speaker is more likely to get damaged by underpowering it than overpowering it. I actually called them cause they sound so bad. I had him explain how to test the speakers and they are fine. And im running the rated rms.

Maybe im wrong but I was told by an infinity tech that a speaker is more likely to get damaged by underpowering it than overpowering it.
That statement is kinda subjective because there are several factors that could make it false or true. Prime example, 99% of installs that are done that are what's call "a deck and four" which are the majority of basic beginner installs. This is when you install a new cd player and four new speakers being powered by the cd player. In this scenario you are "under powering" the speakers and they run for years with no issues when used with just a shred of common sense. Most aftermarket radio's out there are going to put out an average 12-22 watts rms and most speakers (6x9's, 6.5's ect) are probably going to be rated from say about 40-75 watts rms. As stated before about damage coming from under powering, it's when you are cranking it to the point of clipping the output cause you are trying to get more volume without having the power to get you there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.