Coaxial speakers without enough wattage? When bass kicks, treble loses volume.

Participant count
  • Participant list

TridentLazers

NY
I recently installed 4 6x8 Pioneer TS-D6802R Coaxial speakers into my truck.

With the intentions of purchasing a new head unit, amp, and sub to go with it.

I still have those intentions, I just bought the speakers first.

So everything sounds fine when I don't raise the volume too high, but low is not how I listen to my music.

When I raise the volume, on some songs more than others it's very noticeable, every time there's heavy bass, the treble loses volume slightly, but noticeably.

Or if I adjust the EQ on the stock head unit to raise the bass, you can hear the treble (I'm guessing the tweaters) go down a notch in volume.

I feel it's safe to assume that it's a simple case of not enough wattage, which I will fix as I still plan on buying the rest of the setup, but my question would be, am I wrong?

Is this problem because of something else?

dctc might be right never heard that but I can guarantee that your WAY underpowered hurting your sound output as well as quality as your driving that stock hu for all it's worth and a musical peak hits it's already peaked out, the power to make that note has to come from somewhere so your highs muddy up as distortion increases.

*Edit*

So I'm basically pushing the stock head unit past it's limit when it comes to sending a clear signal, which in turn distorts the output on the speakers. Which happens to be noticeable in the way I'm observing it because I have coaxial speakers.

Would replacing just the head unit fix this? I'm just trying to understand exactly what's happening.

I'm guessing a new head unit with a lot more wattage would allow me to go louder without distortion but only to a certain extent. Past that I would need the amp to get the full potential of the speakers.

just changing your hu will help a little but to get a GOOD sounding system with aftermarket speakers you need to send them amped at there rated rms and have enough power left for peaks so if there 60w rms each if you found a 100w rms x 4 amp at the correct ohm load you have have a great sounding start that would get loud cleanly

just changing your hu will help a little but to get a GOOD sounding system with aftermarket speakers you need to send them amped at there rated rms and have enough power left for peaks so if there 60w rms each if you found a 100w rms x 4 amp at the correct ohm load you have have a great sounding start that would get loud cleanly
Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured, I just wanted to reassure myself.

*Edit*So I'm basically pushing the stock head unit past it's limit when it comes to sending a clear signal, which in turn distorts the output on the speakers. Which happens to be noticeable in the way I'm observing it because I have coaxial speakers.

Would replacing just the head unit fix this? I'm just trying to understand exactly what's happening.

I'm guessing a new head unit with a lot more wattage would allow me to go louder without distortion but only to a certain extent. Past that I would need the amp to get the full potential of the speakers.
you got it right but the reason your noticing it now more then ever is the speakers have a much higher rms rating then stock, also like I said even a hu change will only help a little unless the speakers are real low rms wattage most hu are advertised as peak output and inflated at that so worry more on the functions of the hu and pre amp outputs and voltage and worry a lot less about the hu actual wattage output as you won't be using it to long.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.