Car broke down... System to blame?!

brafferty

CarAudio.com Elite
idaho
so despite my big plans to upgrade my build, my car broke down today. Shop straight out told me that i destroyed my 180 amp alternator and my battery with the current build i have ?! Im very confused here since as we all know, my current build isnt anything truly big. Along with this my alternator belt completely melted. The shop said they refuse to connect my system back up to what they are installing and im just curious if any of this makes sense to you guys.... cause as far as im aware, my system should be able to run off a yellowtop on a 180 amp with a big three upgrade to go along with it. Any thoughts?

What "shop" said you destroyed your stuff? And how exactly does an alt belt melt? Any pics?
i dont have pics no //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif just my local automotive shop. and it melted because it was rubbing against metal. i could smell it days before this occurred.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

i dont have pics no //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif just my local automotive shop. and it melted because it was rubbing against metal. i could smell it days before this occurred.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
right which means had nothing to do with system imo., just check fuse on power wires make sure it's not bigger than it needs to be but sounds like alt pulley messed up or something wasn't tight.. u can run it with reg alt and batt with gain low many have dimming..

Sounds like ******** to me.

Belts don't just rub things. Something obstructing the belt?

And no your system didn't kill you alt. The belt was slipping get not properly charging the battery and killed the battery is a logical explanation..

Sounds like ******** to me.Belts don't just rub things. Something obstructing the belt?

And no your system didn't kill you alt. The belt was slipping get not properly charging the battery and killed the battery is a logical explanation..
This was my thoughts but I wanted a second opinion . I can 110% confirm the belt was running , shouldn't have been but it did start earlier this week. I witnessed it with my own eyes. As for the rest , I feel they saw the system and immediately jumped to that being the issue . I just don't wanna get cocky, toss my system back in and boom have things fall apart again. **** I'm just hoping they match the alt size but I'm sure they won't . Spent 400 on that **** dc alt to have this happen 2 years later

I would try to have DC warranty. Same thing happened in my buddies car with a alternator he had built locally alternator started locking up causing the belt 2 seem like it was slipping or rubbing but it wasn't it was just getting extremely hot cycling around a pulley that was intermittently locking up seriously as far as I can tell it was the exact same thing except he didn't kill his batteries because he has a decent *** battery Bank and we caught it very early

And just for the record the local alternator shop blame the system said it was pulling way too much amperage not installed properly blah blah blah put a new alternator hook the system back up and it's been fine for years well actually about a year maybe a year-and-a-half now don't necessarily mean that you will 100% for sure have the same result but I would be hard-pressed to say your system did that unless there is something seriously wrong with it

Yeah I told the shop to keep anything they take out so let's hope they listen . As long as you guys think I'm fine I'll be running the bass again haha! I just don't see why they felt the need to say it was my bass causing issues

Yeah I told the shop to keep anything they take out so let's hope they listen . As long as you guys think I'm fine I'll be running the bass again haha! I just don't see why they felt the need to say it was my bass causing issues
A regulator can cause an alt to destroy its self, but that takes some true serious low voltage action to cause the bearing to spin from slippage.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I can almost guarantee that unless you told them it was a high output Alt and that the amperage had to be matched they are just going to throw a stock alternator on there and they probably blame the system because either hey they didn't know any better or B it was a simple explanation that they figured you would just accept and have them go ahead with the work

I can almost guarantee that unless you told them it was a high output Alt and that the amperage had to be matched they are just going to throw a stock alternator on there and they probably blame the system because either hey they didn't know any better or B it was a simple explanation that they figured you would just accept and have them go ahead with the work
Touché touché . **** maybe I'll just wait until I get a new car in April to start a build. Go fresh haha. I don't wanna upgrade this shiiiiit all over again just to get a new car and have to do it again anyways . In April I do get a large chunk of cash ... it makes sense I feel . I wish I knew things about cars in times like this

All you can do is hang in there roll with the punches and learn as you go if I was in your shoes and I knew I was getting a new car in April I would wait to upgrade until I had the new car for sure but even if I have got a stock alternator put on the old car just to get me around until then I would still bump my music just the super Vigilant on the voltage and adjust the games down if necessary and I would definitely see about getting the other alternator covered under warranty you never know I wrecked my first Yukon Last Summer smoked a phone pole and totaled the truck split the case on my brand new AGM battery the store I bought it from here locally had no reason other than customer satisfaction but they warranted it out and it didn't cost me a dime and I got a brand new battery

Don't go to shops. Period. They know nothing about car audio as much as us. They look at something and immediately blame your system because the brakes failed.

All you can do is hang in there roll with the punches and learn as you go if I was in your shoes and I knew I was getting a new car in April I would wait to upgrade until I had the new car for sure but even if I have got a stock alternator put on the old car just to get me around until then I would still bump my music just the super Vigilant on the voltage and adjust the games down if necessary and I would definitely see about getting the other alternator covered under warranty you never know I wrecked my first Yukon Last Summer smoked a phone pole and totaled the truck split the case on my brand new AGM battery the store I bought it from here locally had no reason other than customer satisfaction but they warranted it out and it didn't cost me a dime and I got a brand new battery
I agree with this honestly ! I'll probably start a thread for that soon . I'd still wanna use most of this system , but I know some cars are just better for doing this kind of hobby than others //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

brafferty

CarAudio.com Elite
brafferty
idaho
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from