Car Amp Cuts Out - Please Help!

Casb0n
10+ year member

I have a pioneer GM-D8601. After hooking up, i turned the car to ACC and set the amp gains. Later when I turned the car all the way on to drive it out of my garage, the amp's power was way less. It sounded a lot quieter. I experimented and still can't find the issue. Occasionally with the car on I'll hear it come back in full power briefly. I've measured the power both at the battery and amp and I'm getting 12 volts with acc on and 14 volts with car on consistently with no voltage drops.

Help is very much appreciated.

Taylor

What kind of car is it?What are your battery specs?What size is your power wiring?Fused distribution block at the battery and one at the amp?If so, what sized fuses are you using?Got the Big3 done?What size is the power and ground wiring?

I have a 1999 Lexus GS 300. I had some electrical issues causing a voltage drop a while back, but my mechanic replaced some wiring and I don't have an voltage drop now. Battery is 600 cca i think. Fuse is around 60 amps on power cable which is more than enough for doing 300 watts rms. Seems to work fine when car is on ACC running off battery at 12 volts but when it goes to 14 it has problems.

When I try to set my gains with the car all the way on, the maximum voltage to my speaker wires I can get is around 20 volts. with max gain with ACC on its around 40. Something weird is going on.

I'll do that. I think I've figured it out a little bit. I think it may have to do with the tape adapter connected to my phone with the 50 hz signal. I think the cable is janky and screwing things up a little bit. Going to make a test cd. All these problems will be over when I get a new HU. I connected my phone to the amp directly and there was the same voltage with car on and acc so the amp seems to be fine.

do you have the bass boost knob connected to the amp? just did a 9601 yesterday and that knob needs to be plugged in to get more out of it. if it is plugged in make sure that its snug on both end. maybe even give the knob a little whack, hell even the amp for that matter.

I think it has something to do with the high voltage input. When I connected my iPod via RCA, it had the same voltage with the gain all the way down with the car on and on ACC. Has to do with the input from the factory sub that i'm using. When I get a new car stereo it will be fixed. Another way to fix is with a good LOC i think.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.