12v on remote cable but amplifier not turning on (checked everything)

Hylcod

Dear Caraudio,

Today I was trying to install my subwoofer again as I had it out of my car for a some 5 months.

It always worked perfectly fine and I can't get the remote cable/slot to get it to work BUT there is 12v on the cable, I'll explain how.

Because I had it worked before all my cables were still in my trunk waiting to be connected.

I have everything connected but it's simply not turning on EXCEPT when I use a paperclip between the 12v slot on my amplifier and the REM (remote) slot, then the light is burning and.. there's sound.

When I grab my meter I can see there's 12v on the remote cable but when I put it in the slot on my subwoofer it's just not turning the amplifier on.

Is this some kind of magic that I don't know of?

Any help would be welcome and greatly appreciated because I really don't know what's going on, what can be the problem?

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

The wire is definitely making contact in the terminal, that's not the problem.

Is it possible something's broking inside the amplifier?

The only thing the remote does is give the amplifier an electric signal that it must get to work right?

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.The wire is definitely making contact in the terminal, that's not the problem.

Is it possible something's broking inside the amplifier?

The only thing the remote does is give the amplifier an electric signal that it must get to work right?
Run a new remote wire, it's not a difficult task

But.. There is 12v on the cable so it gets electricity, why should I replace it then?

If you can give me a liget reason I'll try tomorrow //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

But.. There is 12v on the cable so it gets electricity, why should I replace it then?If you can give me a liget reason I'll try tomorrow //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Well, if it works when you jump from the positive to the remote but not when your remote wire is actually plugged in it has to be something with the remote wire. That is the ONLY thing possibly wrong here. Where are you measuring from? If you're measuring between the remote and positive of your amp then the remote wire is grounding out.

We had a similar issue today. The remote wire wasn't providing enough current to turn on the amp... Sounds crazy, but the DMM measured 12v output from the HU's remote output but it wouldn't turn on the amp. We jumped it to the positive wire and it worked fine

OP try wiring in a relay with your HU's remote as the turn on signal.

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 AM ----------

make sure main pwr cable for the amp is connected, and that there is a fuse in the fuse holder
He just said it worked fine if the remote was jumped to the power, and the DMM read 12v on the remote wire.

Awesome, thank you for your reply, for a while it seemed like I was the only one on this plant with this problem //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

So what was exactly what you did? My history in car audio only consists of installing audio in my own car so a step by step explanation without too many abbreviations would be great.

Thank you in advance!

run a wire from the remote terminal to the front of the car. same with the positive terminal on the amp. then put a relay switch between the two wires. their like 2 - 3 bucks at your local auto shop

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

make sure main pwr cable for the amp is connected, and that there is a fuse in the fuse holder
that is irrelevant to this post...

Well, if it works when you jump from the positive to the remote but not when your remote wire is actually plugged in it has to be something with the remote wire. That is the ONLY thing possibly wrong here. Where are you measuring from? If you're measuring between the remote and positive of your amp then the remote wire is grounding out.
^^^ this is correct^^^ grounding out or not getting enough power either way replacing the remote should fix it!!!

There's 11,35V on the remote, I guess that's not enough.

How do I improve the voltage or is there another way around except for putting a relay in the front of the car between the 12v input and the remote input.

I'm not a big technician but if there are some handy things I can try it would be nice!

It's a Volkswagen Polo 1997

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Hylcod

Hylcod
The Netherlands
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
CrossoverOre