Can running rca cables next to power cable cause distortion?

RWhite

I'm getting distortion in my sub at a relatively low volume. The head unit goes up to 60 and I'm getting distortion at 23. The head unit has a 10 band equalizer so I turned them all to zero and it distorted at 30. I'm just thinking it shouldn't be distorting at such a low volume. Head unit: Sony MEX-GS810BH (mexgs810bh) Single-DIN Bluetooth Car Stereo w/

Subwoofer: NVX VCW122 12" Dual 2 ohm VC Series Car Subwoofer (VCW 122)
Yes, absolutely. It's recommended that RCA cables be run on the opposite side of the power cable.

Distortion is caused by POOR TUNING...You will need to make adjustments/fine tune for distortion issues..Whinning issues generally consist of a poor ground on the HU, amplifier,bad rcas, or an overall ground to begin with, or a Pico Fuse issue such as Pioneer HUs generally have,or a bad alt in most cases/ingeneral..Most power wires are jacked fairly thick, as well as most RCAs are these days for a standard install of a single run of 0 ga wiring can be side by side without any interference that is noticeable in most cases,and generally just fine..Running a HELLA system with two -three+ runs of 0 ga. and several rcas, side by side with alot of power will deff be noticable, and most deff would be needed to be ran differently/sides,.Ive ran systems with 0 ga up to 2k true rms with rcas next too power wiring and have had no issues,without any other options to run differently.Yet, always good practice to run seperately if at all possible.But experiencing distortion at lower levels can be from just POOR tuning,or a set of bad RCAs even/signal,,bad filtering from the HU,Passive Xovers, or amp in general..Try tuning first.Then go from there

rca next to power is probably not you problem. time to get your ear in there. is it the sub or box or perhaps something else making the sound. check crossover settings on the amp. turn down any bass boost. basically retune the amp properly and see waht happens. But I have seen several boxes of late splitting at the seams. could be your problem there.

I bet it's your ground. having same issue after testing a different ground location, and mind you that I've for about 4 months had no whine at all after accidentally running my rcas next to the power wire. I will be released running all of my wires this weekend for a cleaner install

What are your settings at the amp at? In your best percentage given their position. Gain, Bass Boost, etc

Power wire/signal wire location isn't the problem.

But on that topic --

Theoretically, there is noise there. In practice it's not going to cause an audible problem.

Current flowing through a wire generates a magnetic field around that wire. That magnetic field then induces a small current in adjacent wires.

Years ago some super genius installer caught wind of this phenomenon and the "separate signal and power wire" myth was born and became a standard recommendation that is still popular today.

Nobody stopped (or at least not long/loud enough) to realize that the noise generated in the signals wires would have to occur in the audible range for it to become an audible issue. It doesn't. There are plenty of noise sources in a car, but the power wire isn't one of them.

An engineer at carsound once posted about TRYING to get power/signal interference by the above method and couldn't MAKE it happen.

I did have a discussion once on this topic and it was suggested that an alternator with a big ripple in its output could cause audible noise which seems logical. It would be an exception, not at all a rule.

I have my RCA ran with my power & ground wire. No chassis ground wire... It is twisted RCA wire, still dont help? Should I still run RCA on the other side still? Should I just use chassis as gound too?

2/0 welding cable, and Karma SS RCA Kables, DD m2b amp & SSA xCON 12.

I don't hear distortion... But I might run the RCA on the other side and see if I notice any different in sound.

I have my RCA ran with my power & ground wire. No chassis ground wire... It is twisted RCA wire, still dont help? Should I still run RCA on the other side still? Should I just use chassis as gound too?
2/0 welding cable, and Karma SS RCA Kables, DD m2b amp & SSA xCON 12.

I don't hear distortion... But I might run the RCA on the other side and see if I notice any different in sound.
If it sounds fine, you're fine. This kind of a problem would most likely lead to noise, not distortion. Distortion is introduced when equipment is being pushed beyond its limits.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.