Loss of local stations ( both AM&FM) when motor running

Participant count
  • Participant list
Is it an aftermarket radio? It may have something to do with the remote antenna wire.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes Kenwood DDX375BT , no remote antenna wire. Weird that only far away FM stations work. Old Kenwood worked fine.l even placed antenna remotely away from car.(about 10 ft) David

Was a radio adapter harness used for plug&play, or was the OEM harness clipped off?
Hi again, old radio adapter was used and checked a dozen times. Every thing is ok. Tried to wire and ground directly to battery, Same results. Even swapped out motor spark plugs and wires to different RFI
types , no change. Even Kenwood has no answers?

Hi, no shark fin. Have standard car antenna. Double check fit and continuity. 1992 Mustang
I was thinking about this and just recalled on one of my stints we had radios. I could knock out another's radio station by messing with my tuning while seeking a station. This may apply to your situation since you say the further stations still come in. Some RF inducing device is kicking on only in run mode. What kind of mods/upgrades do you have on the Mustang?

Again, thanks for helping me. It
has a lot of upgrades (super charger , heads,etc) Has MSD
ignition (all rfi complyent). Nothing else wood cause interference.
Besides the old Kenwood worked great.

MSD
ignition
Aha! The smoking gun. Newer radios seem to be more susceptible to RF noise. May be part of the planned obsolescence agenda. RFI compliant means they can receive noise but must not emit it. But at that range I do not know if it is acceptable. I think High Flow fuel pumps also emit RFI. You may have to sacrifice yourself and settle for Bluetooth or SD Card.
BTW, a picture of that 'Stang would be neat.

Last edited:
IMG_20190616_112747970.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...