Anyone had any luck running a Kicker L7S free-air?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Oldbasshead

CarAudio.com Recruit
USA
Title says it all. I'm planning to build a custom enclosure in my '19 Mazda 3 sedan for 2 12's and will have a spare 10" L7S that I wouldn't mind keeping. However, I'd ditch the factory box and replace my factory Bose subwoofer in the rear deck and modify it to fit the L7S. No infinite baffle, just a big old square Kicker where the factory sub used to be. I was planning on removing/widening that area anyway and add an 8" port, but I'd gladly throw another speaker in there instead if it will enhance the sound. I'm used to letting one of my back seats down anyway to let the equipment breathe and to really move some air inside the cabin.

Thoughts?

I'm not looking for anything earth-shattering with the L7S, just curious if that setup would improve the sound at all.

I'm not looking for anything earth-shattering with the L7S, just curious if that setup would improve the sound at all.
I would say no since it will be the equivalent of just plopping the sub atop the back seat and letting it rip. Back wave must be separated from front wave. Even with the rear seats up, the power of the 12s would greatly affect the cone's motion.

I would say no since it will be the equivalent of just plopping the sub atop the back seat and letting it rip. Back wave must be separated from front wave. Even with the rear seats up, the power of the 12s would greatly affect the cone's motion.
Oh well, it was fun to think about it. I guess I'll be putting a massive port in the rear deck and sell the Kicker when that time comes. Thanks for the feedback.

The Qts for the 44L7S122, most current, D2 model, is 0.5977. The 10" however is 0.4622.
Most want it to be closer to a Qts of 0.7. The 10" version will sound like crap. The 12" would
not be terrible, but you would have to use that deck and have NOTHING in the trunk for bass.

I wouldnt try it with the 10".

The Qts for the 44L7S122, most current, D2 model, is 0.5977. The 10" however is 0.4622.
Most want it to be closer to a Qts of 0.7. The 10" version will sound like crap. The 12" would
not be terrible, but you would have to use that deck and have NOTHING in the trunk for bass.

I wouldnt try it with the 10".

Thanks for the feedback. It was a long shot but there will definitely be much more powerful subs in the trunk, so clearing it out isn't an option. I have to admit, though, for the price, the L7S isn't too shabby.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...