Burned wiers at the sub connection

Participant count
  • Participant list

Shawn_harder

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hopeing I can find some help I for some reason let a friend of mine hook my subs up in my suburban about a month or 2 later I was driveing and smoke was pouring out of my box I shut my music off made sure nothing was on fire they still worked then it happens again the subs will not work any more I’m worried it blew my amp the fuse on the amp it’s self was snapped replaced it still nothing. I don’t wana buy new subs if it’s just my amp I put pics of the system I bought and what the wiers looked like any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 2A6F807D-A478-41B0-B640-F5BEABA4B1B1.png
    2A6F807D-A478-41B0-B640-F5BEABA4B1B1.png
    268.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 79AE13E5-4740-47E5-8ACE-AD4CDDD8CFCF.jpeg
    79AE13E5-4740-47E5-8ACE-AD4CDDD8CFCF.jpeg
    645.7 KB · Views: 254
At what point do you look at the burnt wire on the terminals and think that you need a more secure connection?

Honestly Rockville is known poor quality equipment so who knows what you blew up or what just failed due to whatever. Please explain what happened to the fuse on the amp? Post pictures of the amp as it sits. I'm guessing you have way more safety issues going on here judging by the picture you posted.

Also you can tap the two terminals of a 9 volt battery to those speaker terminals on your sub and if it pops/jumps the sub is still functional.

smoke was pouring out of my box
That is a terrible connection. The smoke was probably due to the voice coil wire coating burning off. I think that was caused by the high heat of the arcing caused by loose wire connections. Coating burns off, resistance of subs goes down, amp overpowers, fuse pops. Like hispls said, test sub wuth a 9 volt battery. If they work, I would still be wary of the subs, being that voice coil coating is damaged. If you have a multimeter use it instead, it will give you a better idea of the sub's health.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.