Building box *read*

Participant count
  • Participant list

MaDroX420
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Tomarrow ill be going to the local lowes or home depot whichever to get everything i need to make a box. Now, heres the thing how do i measure my truck to see what i need have a 98 f-150 single cab and looking to build 1.5 Cu ft per chamber for 2 12" Comp vrs. I welcome any responses.

Put the seat where you like it and then measure the area behind it. Measure from the seat to the back of the cab on the bottom and top and also the height.

Let's just say for example you have 10" on the bottom, 5" on the top and 14" tall (measuring straight up the back of the cab, not the seat.) Using these numbers now you need to konw how wide to make it so you get 1.5 (if you want seperate boxes) or 3 (if you want a single box) ((If you build a single you may have trouble around the drive shaft hump.)) If you used 24" wide you would come up with 1.46cu'

All I did to get the number was make a box that was 5"x14"x24=1680. Then another one only cut in half 'cause it's a triangle 5"x14"x24/2=840. 1680+840=2520/1728=1.46. (The 5 and the 10 worked out well for the example.)

Once you come up with the numbers you have to work with, it's just a number game from there to get the vol. you need. Make sure the box is deep enough for the depth of the sub.

Hope this helped...at least a little.

Originally posted by Trixter Put the seat where you like it and then measure the area behind it. Measure from the seat to the back of the cab on the bottom and top and also the height.

Let's just say for example you have 10" on the bottom, 5" on the top and 14" tall (measuring straight up the back of the cab, not the seat.) Using these numbers now you need to konw how wide to make it so you get 1.5 (if you want seperate boxes) or 3 (if you want a single box) ((If you build a single you may have trouble around the drive shaft hump.)) If you used 24" wide you would come up with 1.46cu'

All I did to get the number was make a box that was 5"x14"x24=1680. Then another one only cut in half 'cause it's a triangle 5"x14"x24/2=840. 1680+840=2520/1728=1.46. (The 5 and the 10 worked out well for the example.)

Once you come up with the numbers you have to work with, it's just a number game from there to get the vol. you need. Make sure the box is deep enough for the depth of the sub.

Hope this helped...at least a little.
with theat much of legth, I'd presume it to be correct...but i have to say, didnt you leave out speaker displacement? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by paikiah with theat much of legth, I'd presume it to be correct...but i have to say, didnt you leave out speaker displacement? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
OOPPSS!! Yes displacement was forgotten. And all demensions would be external. So what ever thickness of wood you choose take that into consideration also.

After i do the measurements take out the room for the 3/4" Mdf and the sub. Also 1.5 cu ft is that good for the 12" comp vrs? and also is there any special seals i need to mount the sub

Originally posted by MaDroX420 After i do the measurements take out the room for the 3/4" Mdf and the sub. Also 1.5 cu ft is that good for the 12" comp vrs? and also is there any special seals i need to mount the sub

no, not really. if you are planning on using carpet or felt then when you go to cut the holes out the the matereal (carpet or felt or whatever), leave some exess flaps in there and screw your subs down tight...that sould do the trick.

as for box vol., that sould be good.

What if im painting it? Also i could carpet it where could i get the carpet? My dad works at a carpeting place for home carpet could they sell it there?

Originally posted by MaDroX420 What if im painting it? Also i could carpet it where could i get the carpet? My dad works at a carpeting place for home carpet could they sell it there?
If you are painting it, get some ring gaskets and put them between the sub and the wood...usualyl subs come with this. As for carpet, I believe either sounddomain or crutchfield sell sheets of carpet for around $20.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.