building a box for the back of my 87 vette

Participant count
  • Participant list

Exibar

CarAudio.com Newbie
hey all,
I'm just putting together a custom box for the back of my 87 vette, and I'd like to use a pair of 8"subs, a pair of 6.5 "mids, and pair of tweeters. I really like Kicker, and have a pair of vintage Kicker Freeair f8a's that I'd like to use as I've been using them for a while now in the vette.

I see I can get 2way 6.5's... I was thinking if I could use those 2way's just as mids, and use tweeters I already have on hand.
I'll be using a 3way crossover, will that cancel out the 2way's tweeter?
or should I just simply use component mids and be done with it?

I'm not looking for an award winning box for the vette, but I want something that will sound nice to compliment my Alpine head, and Kicker KS fronts. and yah, it has to thump too of course :) Mostly metal and classic rock...

I have always really liked Kicker, so that's what I'll be using here. Any suggestions on kicker mids for the build?

thanks all!
Mike B

Last edited:
hey all,
I'm just putting together a custom box for the back of my 87 vette, and I'd like to use a pair of 8"subs, a pair of 6.5 "mids, and pair of tweeters. I really like Kicker, and have a pair of vintage Kicker Freeair f8a's that I'd like to use as I've been using them for a while now in the vette.

I see I can get 2way 6.5's... I was thinking if I could use those 2way's just as mids, and use tweeters I already have on hand.
I'll be using a 3way crossover, will that cancel out the 2way's tweeter?
or should I just simply use component mids and be done with it?

I'm not looking for an award winning box for the vette, but I want something that will sound nice to compliment my Alpine head, and Kicker KS fronts. and yah, it has to thump too of course :) Mostly metal and classic rock...

I have always really liked Kicker, so that's what I'll be using here. Any suggestions on kicker mids for the build?

thanks all!
Mike B

What amp/amps are you looking to use? What is your budget? Just get the best Kicker coaxials that you can afford or get some nice Infinity coaxials for the same price that will sound better than the Kicker's. You need a good four channel amp to power your whole system.

Can you get pics of the gear you have or will be using with the front and rear of the magnets for Model#s, and the Xovers you will be using?

Can you get pics of the gear you have or will be using with the front and rear of the magnets for Model#s, and the Xovers you will be using?

The crossover is just a pair of 3way, 300watt crossovers I picked up from from amazon.
the subs I have are 8" Kicker FreeAir f8a
I am looking at most likely these for tweeters and mids: Kicker KS650 Car Audio KS Series 6 1/2" Component Speakers Pair 44KSS6504

My alpine head unit delivers 100watts RMS per channel and I think that should be more than enough for my purposes.
I have something similar setup in my garage with a pair of vintage RS40's as subs, realistic optimmus mids and unknown tweeters... and that setup in my garage sounds fantastic, even with the no-name chinese doubledin head unit....
Im just trying to get things setup perhaps a bit better for inside my vette, and it's gutta sound better with my Alpine head unit in the vette as opposed to that cheap chinese double din in the garage :)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...