Build for Volkswagen CC questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

DeruDog

UK
Hi. I am kind of new to aftermarket car audio, having not installed anything in over 20 years. Now I am in a job where I will be commuting for 90 minutes a day or more, and would like to have a nice-sounding car for the drive. I have a 2012 Volkswagen CC, and I will be selling it in 3 years for a move (right now I am in the UK, and next place will be back to left-hand drive). I welcome any suggestions about the below plans.

I would like to add some clean sound and volume to the car, since it is currently stock. I have no desire to damage my hearing, so I will keep it at a reasonable level, listening to audiobooks, acoustic music, some orchestral music and some blues. Therefore I am thinking about 60-75W per channel to 4 door-mounted 6-1/2 components with separate tweeters, plus a 200-300W 10" enclosed sub.

In order to achieve this, I am looking at a DSP, a 4-way amp, the speakers mentioned above, and a separate amp for the SW, probably mounted on the deck. I plan to build my own SW box, since I am pretty handy with woodworking, though I could also do an all-in-one.

I also plan to do some deadening of everything below the windows, with SDS (Sound Deadener Showdown) tiles and MLV.

My current considerations are:

Polk Audio or Infinity Reference component speakers.

AudioControl DQ-61 DSP

RF R400x4 4-way amp

Pioneer Champion or Infinity Reference 10"SW

Questions:

What would be the effect of getting higher quality front speakers and lower quality in the rear? Or would it be more cost-effective to get 2-way speakers for the rear and forego the separate tweets? The tweeters are mounted high on the door-panels, front and back.

Is there a wiser way to go on DSP?

Is the wattage I list too high or too low?

Would it be cheaper/more effective to get an all-in-one SW/amp combo?

Am I missing anything?

If I wanted to splurge on one item, what would it be?

Thanks to all in advance.

I would like to add some clean sound and volume to the car, since it is currently stock. I have no desire to damage my hearing, so I will keep it at a reasonable level, listening to audiobooks, acoustic music, some orchestral music and some blues. Therefore I am thinking about 60-75W per channel to 4 door-mounted 6-1/2 components with separate tweeters, plus a 200-300W 10" enclosed sub.
In order to achieve this, I am looking at a DSP, a 4-way amp, the speakers mentioned above, and a separate amp for the SW, probably mounted on the deck. I plan to build my own SW box, since I am pretty handy with woodworking, though I could also do an all-in-one.
You're a perfect candidate for a 5-channel amplifier. A DSP is a wise choice, especially when you're keeping the factory radio.

I also plan to do some deadening of everything below the windows, with SDS (Sound Deadener Showdown) tiles and MLV.
Shipping is probably going to be outrageous to the UK, especially on MLV. Is the noise level really that bad on a CC? Pull back a section of carpet on the floor in the cabin and see what insulation VW installed at the factory. MLV can be a real ***** to install. If the carpet already has a heavy backing I would skip the floor treatments.

My current considerations are:polk Audio or Infinity Reference component speakers.

AudioControl DQ-61 DSP

RF R400x4 4-way amp

Pioneer Champion or Infinity Reference 10"SW

Questions:

What would be the effect of getting higher quality front speakers and lower quality in the rear?
Unless the back speakers are intolerably poor or will present a load of less than 2 ohms to the new amplifier you could leave those alone.

Is there a wiser way to go on DSP?
DQ-61 doesn't have a lot to offer compared to the alternatives. It's expensive considering the limited features, and you would be better off with a DSP that at least has an input EQ to correct the factory signal. JBL MS-8 has the best signal correction, and it does a great job of automatically tuning a vehicle in a short amount of time. It isn't perfect, but it's worth a look.

Is the wattage I list too high or too low?
It's enough to get you nicely balanced sound and to play a wide variety of material loudly.

Would it be cheaper/more effective to get an all-in-one SW/amp combo?
Do a 5-channel amplifier and build a small enclosure for the subwoofer of your choice.

If I wanted to splurge on one item, what would it be?
Spend more on a DSP. If you have a Helix/Match dealer nearby consider their VW specific products.

You're a perfect candidate for a 5-channel amplifier. A DSP is a wise choice, especially when you're keeping the factory radio.
I am looking at 5-channels as well. Trying to figure out what the best way to go is, considering quality, power, and price

Shipping is probably going to be outrageous to the UK, especially on MLV. Is the noise level really that bad on a CC? Pull back a section of carpet on the floor in the cabin and see what insulation VW installed at the factory. MLV can be a real ***** to install. If the carpet already has a heavy backing I would skip the floor treatments.
Shipping will not be a problem, or I could source locally. I will check under the carpets. Noise is mostly from the tires, it seems. Wind noise has not been so bad, so far. Just got the car, so still evaluating.

DQ-61 doesn't have a lot to offer compared to the alternatives. It's expensive considering the limited features, and you would be better off with a DSP that at least has an input EQ to correct the factory signal. JBL MS-8 has the best signal correction, and it does a great job of automatically tuning a vehicle in a short amount of time. It isn't perfect, but it's worth a look.
Can's find the MS-8; I think it has been discontinued. Perhaps the soundstream harmony? People have had problems with the Match DSP, but that looks good as well. Not sure how different it is from the Soundstream, though.

It's enough to get you nicely balanced sound and to play a wide variety of material loudly.

Do a 5-channel amplifier and build a small enclosure for the subwoofer of your choice.

Spend more on a DSP. If you have a Helix/Match dealer nearby consider their VW specific products.
Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.