AM i screwed? JBL MS-8 going into protect mode

Participant count
  • Participant list

npcout
10+ year member

PA
My jbl ms-8 is about a year old and goes into protect mode about 10 seconds after turning the car on each and every time.. im stupid with car audio.. im assuming its protect mode. There is a blue light on the ms-8 that lights up when music is playing, but goes out when the music stops being audible.

Am i screwed? Can this be fixed?

did u check ur grounds and power also, does ur display work and have u tried to do a reset all calibrations (i would wait on that until someone smarter can give input)

By display.. do you mean the little screen up by the front seat where I can adjust settings?

I'm not sure, i don't leave that plugged in. I'd have to check.. what would that matter, curious.

yes that is what i was talking about, b/c if that works u can try to reset ur calibration settings or something to try to see if that works

It may be a shorted speaker wire or bad speaker
My drivers side door speaker is currently out. Moisture has corroded the wire, this is the second time it happened. It happens at the crossover. I didn't get it fixed yet because we had some medical expenses come up. The speaker went out about a month before the MS-8. Maybe the MS-8 is just recognizing it now??

I'm taking my car in Wednesday. They are going to fix the speaker in hopes that solves the MS-8 issue. If not, I will try to get JBL to cover it as i am just past warranty, they said they might when i called.

If not, my wife will not allow me to buy a new head unit at this time due to money.. so im just going to have to do a hi/lo adaptor with RCAs to my 4 channel amp and put up with ****** sound coming from a stock head unit.

My drivers side door speaker is currently out. Moisture has corroded the wire, this is the second time it happened. It happens at the crossover. I didn't get it fixed yet because we had some medical expenses come up. The speaker went out about a month before the MS-8. Maybe the MS-8 is just recognizing it now??
I'm taking my car in Wednesday. They are going to fix the speaker in hopes that solves the MS-8 issue. If not, I will try to get JBL to cover it as i am just past warranty, they said they might when i called.

If not, my wife will not allow me to buy a new head unit at this time due to money.. so im just going to have to do a hi/lo adaptor with RCAs to my 4 channel amp and put up with ****** sound coming from a stock head unit.
Hopefully it will be just the speaker causing it...At Autozone you can get a set of foam speaker baffles for about $10 ...These will save your speakers from damage and help them sound better...They are located near the car stereo stuff in all stores

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.