Build Component Suggestion & Set up questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

ps2cho
10+ year member

LA
Hi guys,

I have a 2016 Audi Allroad with the factory Bang & Olufson 15 speaker setup. Overall sound quality is pretty good, but the subwoofer in the trunk is basically inaudible. I want to add an amplifier and enclosure /w subwoofer to the system to get the bass I need. I'm not looking for competition grade, or window shattering, just want to add some decent bass to my factory setup and then I'm cool.

Question 1) I have two choices of subs I already own, which is better for my setup? Both sitting in the garage for 5+ years and want to use one of them.
A) Infiniti Reference 850W (REF850W) - 8" Sub 

• 8" Single 4 Ohms Reference Series Subwoofer
  • Power Handling:

Peak: 800 watts
  • RMS: 200 watts

[*]Impedance: Single 4 ohms

[*]Proprietary Reduced-Depth Steel Basket

[*]Frequency response: 30-400 Hz

[*]Sensitivity: 91 dB
B) Alpine SWE-1043 -  10" Sub

• 10" 4-ohm subwoofer
  • frequency response: 29-1,000 Hz
  • power range: 100-250 watts RMS
  • peak power: 700 watts
  • sensitivity: 84 dB
Question 2) I want the slimmest enclosure I can get within reason so I don't take up a ton of space in the trunk. Based on which sub from above, should I go with a sealed or ported box?

Question 3) I'm not 100% sure on the install - I am disconnecting the factory subwoofer and want to use that wiring. Is all I need a line output convertor (LOC)?
If so, I don't understand the difference between getting a $20 RCA converter/adapter like the PAC LP7-2 vs going with the $75 Audicontrol LC2i. What's the benefit to the LC2i, or is there none with my plan? I understand how to wire up the amp's power/gnd/switched 12v, that's no problem, its just how I take the factory sub wiring and convert that over to the amplifier

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your deck should have rca out for the amps hook upbut if none then a converter I would think the cheapest one would work fine. Audiocontrol brand idly tends to run real pricy. I would find out the suggest box sizes for said subs before making a choice since your wanting smallest box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.