Budget SQ Building - Help Please?

Its sounds like your wanting a sq sounding car.. I myself enjoy music, good sounding music that is. Lol
First time I heard a "real" sq and tuned car I was blown away how great the sound was!!! See if anybody in your area has a sq car that you could listen to.
It's unfortunate, but pretty much everyone around here is just a basshead, as opposed to a sound quality guy like I am. I've heard some absolutely insane speaker systems, but it really took me a while to put 2+2 together and realize that a car, or in my case, an SUV with enough space to set up something really ornate, would be a perfect place for it.

I've been looking at competition routes, however, and I don't recall if it is the IASCA, or someone else, but there will be one in Syracuse on the 22nd of May. I'm contemplating whether the 2-3 hour drive will be worth it.

It's unfortunate, but pretty much everyone around here is just a basshead, as opposed to a sound quality guy like I am. I've heard some absolutely insane speaker systems, but it really took me a while to put 2+2 together and realize that a car, or in my case, an SUV with enough space to set up something really ornate, would be a perfect place for it.
I've been looking at competition routes, however, and I don't recall if it is the IASCA, or someone else, but there will be one in Syracuse on the 22nd of May. I'm contemplating whether the 2-3 hour drive will be worth it.
It will be worth it. You will get a idea of what you really want. IMO a purpose built SQ car is kind of boring. I can tune my setup to compete with pretty good SQ cars but I dont leave it there for daily listening. Keep in mind it takes good equipment to be able to multi-task. I got to the point where I can compete in SQ and SPL, and have something that can be really enjoyed daily. Its not the best of either but can place well or win in both. This hobby is all about sacrifices. if you want to be the loudest its not going to sound good, if you want the best sound its not going to be the loudest. if you want both its not going to be the best at either

It will be worth it. You will get a idea of what you really want. IMO a purpose built SQ car is kind of boring. I can tune my setup to compete with pretty good SQ cars but I dont leave it there for daily listening. Keep in mind it takes good equipment to be able to multi-task. I got to the point where I can compete in SQ and SPL, and have something that can be really enjoyed daily. Its not the best of either but can place well or win in both. This hobby is all about sacrifices. if you want to be the loudest its not going to sound good, if you want the best sound its not going to be the loudest. if you want both its not going to be the best at either
This makes alot of sense to me. I'll look into taking the trip. Might as well stop at Cranx bike park and ride some BMX while I'm there! haha

The problem with having the big SUV though, is that I need more speakers to fill up the entire car, but I don't want them to sound like they're coming from each particular area where they're mounted. I'm trying to make it so that they blend evenly together.

For me, SPL comes behind SQ, as I'd rather have a car I can fully enjoy, than one that others can hear coming down the block. I'm not that guy. My car is flashy enough for a 20 year old. I don't need to grab attention, I just spend 2-3 hours in my car a day. I feel I deserve a system that I can listen to all my reggae, rock, and every other genre, clearly through it. SPL+SQ mixture can come when I have the money and time to drop a HO alt, some sundown audio gear, and fiberglass work into it, but right now I'm trying to get as close to SQ as I can without breaking my back trying to afford it, while filling up the entire car with no dead spots. I hate interference...

This makes alot of sense to me. I'll look into taking the trip. Might as well stop at Cranx bike park and ride some BMX while I'm there! hahaThe problem with having the big SUV though, is that I need more speakers to fill up the entire car, but I don't want them to sound like they're coming from each particular area where they're mounted. I'm trying to make it so that they blend evenly together.

For me, SPL comes behind SQ, as I'd rather have a car I can fully enjoy, than one that others can hear coming down the block. I'm not that guy. My car is flashy enough for a 20 year old. I don't need to grab attention, I just spend 2-3 hours in my car a day. I feel I deserve a system that I can listen to all my reggae, rock, and every other genre, clearly through it. SPL+SQ mixture can come when I have the money and time to drop a HO alt, some sundown audio gear, and fiberglass work into it, but right now I'm trying to get as close to SQ as I can without breaking my back trying to afford it, while filling up the entire car with no dead spots. I hate interference...
Having a large car is not a issue. You have something called cabin gain us small car guys dont have. Focus on the install and it will fill the entire cabin

I would make the drive for a sq event.... Been awhile since I've been to one.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

SPL of events are dime a dozen now days... Lol

In my experience trying to create the best of both the SPL and the SQ world is where things start to get expensive. Some ppl call it an SQL build, which is just a made up term, but everyone knows what you mean. I've always tried to have a system that was very SQLesque. In my opinion it is easy to achieve a cheap system that can achieve SQ well, or SPL well, however when you want something that will sound beautiful and also be loud is where things start to be expensive. However like previously stated above, install is the most important thing about a system. Taking time to test where the best location for your tweeters are, taking time to create actual enclosures for your midbass/midrange woofers, and finding a quality box design that will work well with your vehicle and subwoofers, then taking the time to deaden your interior is going to be the biggest things to how your system will sound. Not as much the equipment, however equipment does play a big role after you have all of the install setup going correctly.

Oh and lets not leave out the electrical. Your overall performance limiter...You must must must have proper electrical supply for your amplifiers.

Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been studying for exams lately, but here's a quick update with some good news!

I traded my Boss d500.2 amp for a Hifonics Brutus 600.1 amp.

I traded my Boss CX 1100 Monoblock amp for a Kicker KX 600.4 amp.

So now I have:

JVC-KD730BT Head Unit

Hifonics Brutus 600.1 running my Alpine SWS-12D2 12" Subwoofer

Kicker KX 600.4 running my Alpine Type-R 5-1/4" components in the rear doors.

Bose 3-1/2" tweeters in dash and Bose 7" subwoofers in door running off the stock Bose amplifier.

Now, since I've merely traded for what I have or had it already, my budget has yet to be touched! Because this is the case, I've been looking at better components to fill out my front stage. I like the look and specs of these: RE Audio XXX6.5C (XXX65C) 6.5" 2-Way XXX Component Car Speakers and I know that they will fit in my doors as I've checked the mounting depth. Even though I picked these out, I really don't know anything about RE, so I'd need your opinions on the components I should use, and amplifier I should use for the best quality within my constraints of price, which have been pleasantly increased.

On top of all that, I ran two runs of 4 gauge wire from my battery for my amplifiers and ran 14 gauge wire to all my speakers in preparation for the upgrades farther down the road.

As far as my stock electrical goes, my alternator is rated at 150 amps and I've been told can handle a maximum of 2200 watts RMS. As of yet, my lights haven't dimmed, nor has my needle on the gauge in my dash moved down at all.

So now that I have yet to touch my budget, but yet have components I planned on purchasing, what would you guys recommend?

Thank you!

Skooter

EDIT: I also, as of now, plan on making my way to the SQ competition in Syracuse and bringing my basshead friends to try to convert them... Wish me luck!

Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been studying for exams lately, but here's a quick update with some good news!
I traded my Boss d500.2 amp for a Hifonics Brutus 600.1 amp.

I traded my Boss CX 1100 Monoblock amp for a Kicker KX 600.4 amp.

So now I have:

JVC-KD730BT Head Unit

Hifonics Brutus 600.1 running my Alpine SWS-12D2 12" Subwoofer

Kicker KX 600.4 running my Alpine Type-R 5-1/4" components in the rear doors.

Bose 3-1/2" tweeters in dash and Bose 7" subwoofers in door running off the stock Bose amplifier.

Now, since I've merely traded for what I have or had it already, my budget has yet to be touched! Because this is the case, I've been looking at better components to fill out my front stage. I like the look and specs of these: RE Audio XXX6.5C (XXX65C) 6.5" 2-Way XXX Component Car Speakers and I know that they will fit in my doors as I've checked the mounting depth. Even though I picked these out, I really don't know anything about RE, so I'd need your opinions on the components I should use, and amplifier I should use for the best quality within my constraints of price, which have been pleasantly increased.

On top of all that, I ran two runs of 4 gauge wire from my battery for my amplifiers and ran 14 gauge wire to all my speakers in preparation for the upgrades farther down the road.

As far as my stock electrical goes, my alternator is rated at 150 amps and I've been told can handle a maximum of 2200 watts RMS. As of yet, my lights haven't dimmed, nor has my needle on the gauge in my dash moved down at all.

So now that I have yet to touch my budget, but yet have components I planned on purchasing, what would you guys recommend?

Thank you!

Skooter

EDIT: I also, as of now, plan on making my way to the SQ competition in Syracuse and bringing my basshead friends to try to convert them... Wish me luck!
Those XXX components are GREAT for loud midbass,but arent really sq oriented. For sq you want something with better tweeters. Possibly a dedicated tweeter amp also. Check into rainbow slc, if you can afford it rainbow germanium. Also focal and morel make some very good components. Your choice of brand depends if you like "bright" or "warm" sounding tweeters. (rainbows are bright)

front stage amps - zapco, zed, mcintosh, and denon are probably the top tier. Then you have audison, jl, arc, and the old ppi art amps. Of course (my sig) id say be patient and wait for a ppi art in good condition to show up on ebay.

Do the big 3 on your electrical with 0 gauge wire.

Im curious as to why you did two runs of 4ga wire instead of one run of 0ga to a dist. block then 4g/8g to your amps? You mustve added the bass later.

Sound deadener will also help. Especially if you have kick panels or enclosures for your components. KNU makes 100mil. Going the extra mile would be covering that with ensolite. You could spend quite a bit on sound deadener alone though...

Those XXX components are GREAT for loud midbass,but arent really sq oriented. For sq you want something with better tweeters. Possibly a dedicated tweeter amp also. Check into rainbow slc, if you can afford it rainbow germanium. Also focal and morel make some very good components. Your choice of brand depends if you like "bright" or "warm" sounding tweeters. (rainbows are bright)
front stage amps - zapco, zed, mcintosh, and denon are probably the top tier. Then you have audison, jl, arc, and the old ppi art amps. Of course (my sig) id say be patient and wait for a ppi art in good condition to show up on ebay.

Do the big 3 on your electrical with 0 gauge wire.

Im curious as to why you did two runs of 4ga wire instead of one run of 0ga to a dist. block then 4g/8g to your amps? You mustve added the bass later.

Sound deadener will also help. Especially if you have kick panels or enclosures for your components. KNU makes 100mil. Going the extra mile would be covering that with ensolite. You could spend quite a bit on sound deadener alone though...
I typed up a huge elaborate response and when I tried to post it, it wouldn't post and I went back and it wasn't there, so here's the short version.

I ran 2 things of 4ga because I added the subwoofer first, then followed by amping the speakers.

My doors have been sealed and deadened, along with the rear hatch and a few problem zones.

I'm deciding between RE XXX components and Sundown SA6.5C components. I want a crisp tweeter to compliment the midbass, and I've been told to look into the Sundowns.

For my sub stage, I think I've decided to sell the Type S on craigslist, see what I can get, and go with 2 Sundown E8V3's in a slotted box. Problem is, I don't know what to tune it to for the flattest response. I want it to get up into the 80-90hz range, but still hit the lows with authority.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.