Budget SQ Building - Help Please?

Skooter
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hi guys.

I'm currently in the decision making process with my first serious system. (more than just a sub, head unit, and speakers) I want to have excellent sound quality even when cranked up, have the ability to open the rear cargo area to hear music outside my car, and to not break the $800 mark.

As a frame of reference, this is the vehicle I'm working with:

67EBCF1E-5BD3-460D-AEB5-E4324B603464-6375-00000494EFB0286E_zps74da8857.jpg

Since this, the Buick Rainier, is the "Luxury Trailblazer," it is already equipped with a dynamat-like rubber sealant on all doors, the rear cargo hatch, and the rear quarterpanels. I'm not sure about the headliner, since I haven't removed that yet.

As of right now, I have a JVC KD730BT head unit, a pair of the newest Alpine Type-R Components running off a cheap Boss 2-Channel amp with crossover set at 70Hz (~200w total), stock Bose 3-1/2" tweeters in the dash and 8" subs in the doors running off the stock Bose amp, and an Alpine Type-S sub wired at 4 ohms to another cheap Boss amp with crossover set at 100Hz (~400w).

I like the sound of it right now, but it's just not enough in the mids and accents in the highs. They seem quite dull, even with tuning it the best I can to compensate.

My plan is to gut the Bose crap in the front doors and dash and run Infinity REF-3002cfx 3-1/2" speakers in the dash, Alpine Type-R 6-1/4" SPR-60 coaxials in the front doors. In the rear, I want to go with 5-1/4" Infinity Kappas, and in the cargo area, my Type-R Components I already have along with my Type-S subwoofer in a sealed box.

The amps will be all Hifonics ZRX Series and each speaker will have it's own dedicated channel.

Now, I set this up based on RMS ratings, my needs/wants, my experience with Alpine products, and my Infinity Home Theatre system I have. I'm not very knowledgeable as far as audio components go, but I do know what good sound is and I won't settle for a mediocre bass blaster.

Having said all this, I was wondering what you guys would personally recommend based on my current setup, my wants/needs, and my budget. I want to be able to turn it up loud at a bike spot (I ride BMX) so I can hear my music clearly, but also have a nice sound quality build that I can use for my daily driver, since I drive about 2 hours a day.

Thank you!

Skooter - The new guy.

I don't think you are looking for an SQ build. You're fairly new so I know what you are thinking, but once you look around some you will realize that's not what you're looking for.

What's your budget here? Probably the biggest factor now that we know your goals.

I don't think you are looking for an SQ build. You're fairly new so I know what you are thinking, but once you look around some you will realize that's not what you're looking for.
What's your budget here? Probably the biggest factor now that we know your goals.
It's 800. End of the 1st paragraph. And Budget SQ Build doesn't go together. Having an 800 dollar budget and wanting SQ I guess is subjective to the person.

Typically SQ and budget don't go together, SQ means paying for the good stuff.

Anyway I know what you mean though, you want a legit budget system that sounds good.

Things to consider:

1. Rubber is not dynamat-like at all. You really want a material specially made for dampening, reducing vibration, and adding mass. Typically dynamat substances that are used are tar or butyl compounds. These are what you want, in my opinion Audio Technix supplies some good and cheap dynamat solutions.

2. Those amplifiers are likely all crap, 1st step upgrade those, if ur looking at a budget, look into MB Quart or Audiopipe. Known to be decent amps and are cheaper.

3. Consider the speakers you want, sounds like you want a good midbass and some good highs. You are really going to want Component speakers, the size of the woofer will be the factor for the midbass they are capable of handling. The materials used in the tweeters will define what kind of sound you want from your highs, personally I prefer Silk dome tweeters, they have a decently warm sound.

comment back, stick to the forum ask questions, constantly try to input what you want and are looking for. do some learning and planning take time, do things right thats the way to a SQ build, taking time and doing things right.

with all you mentioned i seen nothing for wires or rcas' or custom box,these also will help with the signal from the deck ,it needs to be clean with no ground noises .also like already said an $800 budget for an sq system prolly isn't enough even used it would be a stretch.i'd start one component at a time ,,with that i mean start with the front stage and amp then add from there ,a nice set of components in the doors with the deadening material and a nice clean 4 channel ,and maybe even some mids for the rear doors ,once you get that up to what you want then work on the bass to get louder .the sub stage alone can cost $800 and up for a nice set up ,even just with one sub ,custom box,and amp .hope this helps

I'll be making the sealed box my own. I was hoping that more amped speakers from what I thought were reputable brands placed strategically would be enough to have a good sound quality build. What names should I be looking at as far as speakers and amps go, and where should I be looking? What websites? Thanks for all the quick replies guys!

Lots of good answers so far but remember the search buttons holds great answers and more options to decide from then once you find what you need bring up your question in this thread and we can help decide what would be best for you good luck man

As far as door speakers look at the morel maximos I just got some and they sound good even off deck power and there 130 right now on amazon which is a good price for a nice set of components.

its a 3 way active deck thats why .also look at phd , cdt ,dls hat,focal these are all nice components ,this and the deck will be the start of a nice sq system

its a 3 way active deck thats why .also look at phd , cdt ,dls hat,focal these are all nice components ,this and the deck will be the start of a nice sq system
I don't know what 3 way active decks are exactly, but can't I run multiple channels with Y splitters to amps and have that 3 way active front. (From what I know, 3 way active is just having 3 channels. I have 3 pairs of RCA outs.)

I don't know what 3 way active decks are exactly, but can't I run multiple channels with Y splitters to amps and have that 3 way active front. (From what I know, 3 way active is just having 3 channels. I have 3 pairs of RCA outs.)
3 way active allows you to send the right frequency to each of the 6 channels ,2 frt ,2 back and 2 sub ,this is a vital component that you will need for the sq system.what you want to do will break down the signal from the deck so bad that it wont sound god in the end .

Plus your JVC only has 2.5 volt outputs and a 3 band EQ.

80PRS has 5 volt outputs and 16 band left and right EQ. Plus a shit load of other SQ goodness. I have 2 and love them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.