Budget SQ Building - Help Please?

Might as well just get a used 80prs. There are like 3 forsale cheap. Plus you will have auto eq and time alignment. Probably come out to about the same price as buying everything for the hu you have now.
Alright. So the 80PRS will be on my list of upgrades... so now I just need to find someone to buy my JVC!

Thanks for the help everyone.

UPDATE: I traded my Boss monoblock amp for a Kicker KX600.4. I'm happy with the trade since I got the Boss amp for only 30 bucks a few months ago! The amp is in good working condition and has minor scratches. I'm going to use this 4 channel instead of the Hifonics ZRX600.4. This freed up a good $150 in my budget!

Yeah, I attempted to do a budget SQ build. No luck. Ended up going with Sundown speakers/subs/amps, AQ wiring, and Rockford processor.
Basically what you're saying is you gave up and started spending money? That's not what I like to hear... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

Hey guys, I also have another question about the box itself, since I'm going to be making a new sealed box for this system. Right now, I have an upward facing sealed box that is about .75ft^3 too big. It bangs pretty well for what it is, but obviously I'm going for more of a Sound Quality setup rather than making noise. In an SUV, which direction should I face the subwoofer for the best sound? The box will be small and put right up against the back seats to save cargo space, as well as making it possible to cover it up with my cargo cover. As said before, it's just one 12" Alpine Type-S, which I understand isn't an impressive speaker, but I've been told countless times, it about the setup, not the components themselves, and I'm actually pretty impressed with how this sub reacts in my car.

So since I'm building the box, I can face it in any angle, upward, downward, left, right... The sky is the limit. What would be best for what I'm going for though?

Basically what you're saying is you gave up and started spending money? That's not what I like to hear... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif
Yeah. Basically. I'm already $1,400 in the hole lol. Not to mention I still got to get a 4 channel amp and some nice quality RCAs. Probably another $400..oh can't forget sound deadener and the box. Going ported on mine. Could be lazy and do a sealed...but I've always liked ported better.

Yeah. Basically. I'm already $1,400 in the hole lol. Not to mention I still got to get a 4 channel amp and some nice quality RCAs. Probably another $400..oh can't forget sound deadener and the box. Going ported on mine. Could be lazy and do a sealed...but I've always liked ported better.
I like the flat bass response from a sealed box more than the muddy thud of a ported box. I had a port on my 15" Kicker CVR in my old car a few years ago and it surprised me that this 12" Alpine Type-S hits just as hard in a sealed box, and yet still has that response I'm looking for. Obviously since you have Sundowns you have better quality subs than I've ever had though, so maybe ported with yours will be just as tight as sealed on mine, if not tighter. I wish I had $1,400 to put into it, but being a broke college student that spends $150 a week on gas to commute really doesn't help my budget. I want to go high high quality, but it's just not in the cards unfortunately, so I'm trying to make up for that with quality installation and strategically placed deadening.

For SQ you need better quality stuff therefore the price goes up with it..... Lol
Well, I'm not looking for competition status, It's more of better than most daily driver sound quality that I'm going for. Since I'm not a basshead, I'd rather have a nice clear sounding system with a flat response and the best quality within the restraints of my budget. Right now, the sound is good from what I've done so far. I want better than good though.

I like the flat bass response from a sealed box more than the muddy thud of a ported box. I had a port on my 15" Kicker CVR in my old car a few years ago and it surprised me that this 12" Alpine Type-S hits just as hard in a sealed box, and yet still has that response I'm looking for. Obviously since you have Sundowns you have better quality subs than I've ever had though, so maybe ported with yours will be just as tight as sealed on mine, if not tighter. I wish I had $1,400 to put into it, but being a broke college student that spends $150 a week on gas to commute really doesn't help my budget. I want to go high high quality, but it's just not in the cards unfortunately, so I'm trying to make up for that with quality installation and strategically placed deadening.
Eh, I'm not broke, but kind of financially strapped down. Got an expensive car payment along with car insurance (the cons of having a sports car @ 22) Not to mention house bills and such. In the end.. I only have $300 spending money which normally goes towards food because I have little/no time to prep food before work (third shifter) Plus...I have had all this equipment in their boxes for about 4 months now, just sitting in my room lol. I had DC audio subs before, very nice subs. Wish I didn't sell them. But I don't want to rattle everything lose in my brand new car. SO I stuck with 2 8" subs. The e8v3s. Only reason I sided with ported is because there is a giant argument on SQ with Ported vs Sealed. Graphs and statics show that ported is a bit better. I'll list my entire setup if you want..I can also recommend some guys that I buy from that have excellent cs and will work with you on payments.

Eh, I'm not broke, but kind of financially strapped down. Got an expensive car payment along with car insurance (the cons of having a sports car @ 22) Not to mention house bills and such. In the end.. I only have $300 spending money which normally goes towards food because I have little/no time to prep food before work (third shifter) Plus...I have had all this equipment in their boxes for about 4 months now, just sitting in my room lol. I had DC audio subs before, very nice subs. Wish I didn't sell them. But I don't want to rattle everything lose in my brand new car. SO I stuck with 2 8" subs. The e8v3s. Only reason I sided with ported is because there is a giant argument on SQ with Ported vs Sealed. Graphs and statics show that ported is a bit better. I'll list my entire setup if you want..I can also recommend some guys that I buy from that have excellent cs and will work with you on payments.
Would you mind posting a link to the Ported vs Sealed argument? I've always thought sealed was the only thing to do for sound quality, since I've never really heard a very tight ported box sound. If I can get the same clarity from a ported box and then have that ability to turn it up when I feel like it, that would be awesome!

I've been buying most of my components of sonic electronix, crutchfield, and from friends and friends of friends. It's been helping me keep the cost down, but I'm always open to look into new places, people, and components.

Thanks for the reply!

Would you mind posting a link to the Ported vs Sealed argument? I've always thought sealed was the only thing to do for sound quality, since I've never really heard a very tight ported box sound. If I can get the same clarity from a ported box and then have that ability to turn it up when I feel like it, that would be awesome!
I've been buying most of my components of sonic electronix, crutchfield, and from friends and friends of friends. It's been helping me keep the cost down, but I'm always open to look into new places, people, and components.

Thanks for the reply!
I literally looked for it everywhere.. I cannot find it. It's not on this forums...but another..going to try looking for it later. I'll get ahold of the guy I do business with. I'll throw you a pm on how to get ahold of him.

I literally looked for it everywhere.. I cannot find it. It's not on this forums...but another..going to try looking for it later. I'll get ahold of the guy I do business with. I'll throw you a pm on how to get ahold of him.
Thank you very much! All help is much appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.