Buck Box Designs 2022 :)

This is a thoughtful post.

I think you only lose efficiency if your chamshell is too small for the power + cone area. Some woofers now have so much motor force that you can get away with tighter distances or more extreme proximities, to a degree. It's all relative and situation by situation.

Clamshells do have horn-like properties and are more efficient, in general. In a car audio application with a really big system, say a full wall clam, that style can really have some benefits. The depth of the clam and the angle are huge factors. Basically a clamshell becomes a series 6th order when the opening mouth into the environment becomes smaller than the rest of the line.

You can take a ported flat wall, let's say for 4 15's with a center slot port, and fold it into a clamshell, then keep folding it, and it becomes a series 6th order just after the 2 clam halves are parallel to each other. I guess it's like a -clam angle lol

If you aren't power limited I don't see any real downside except MAYBE uneven loading on the cones if the angle is too small. It's kinda hard for me to wrap my brain around.

One part of me says having the woofers compress air in that configuration would cause some odd interactions with each woofer and the small volume of air in the "throat" of the clamshell

The other part of me says that each woofer pair would add a little more energy to the volume of air in the throat and essentially increase output as well as efficiency.

Air is a fluid as we all know. And when you have multiple pump outlets(think speaker cones) feeding a common chamber (think the throat of the clamshell), the water inside that chamber turns crazy turbulent as each pressure zone tries to find an equilibrium and efficient flow path. I had to do something like this at work with 8 diaphragm pumps feeding into a common pipe. Clustering them all together (space efficient) seriously jacked up the flow out of the system to the point we were running out of cooling water. But spacing them out and alternating left, right, left, right with some distance between them seemed to speed up the flow more than the individual outputs.

Idk, clamshell enclosures work, we know they do. I'm probably just over-analyzing **** like I always do.

Matt

Because he tries to act like they’re his builds, like he’s some huge part of this when really he just happens to be there. He wants to compare this stuff to my designs and I’m doing 100% of my designs from scratch and he’s taking pictures of someone’s else’s work and acting like we’re on the same level.

I posted a pic of two subs genius. I've never said that they were my builds or that I built the boxes. I'm not a designer and never claimed to be. I build custom homes not subwoofer boxes. I just like posting pics of real life boxes and builds.

Screenshot_20220213-210300_Chrome.jpg

You asked a question and I answered it. I simply posted a pic of a couple of subs and you freak out. I've been nice so far and will leave it up to you if you want to take it to the next level again. Your move

Just be respectful and stop posting stuff you didn’t build and that I have nothing to do with in my thread.

You’re not asking me questions, your whole intent is show off what you’ve done in my thread to make yourself feel better. You don’t care what I think, and it’s obvious considering how you just threatened my thread again.

You’re not asking me questions, your whole intent is show off what you’ve done in my thread to make yourself feel better. You don’t care what I think, and it’s obvious considering how you just threatened my thread again.

You asked me a question. So I answered your question. I don't see you building or installing any systems. I've documented three builds in the last three years in here. Good luck and take care!

I hate that I can't design right now, but at least I got a video in of a box I worked my butt off on. We had to work really hard to fit these 18's back there, as in a ton of conversations and design time.

That's 2 DD Z4 18's in the back; here's the basic design (we planned it to be modifiable to a degree without compromising anything):

I forgot how much power it was on and asked, and here's what I was told:

"Two DD M8000s, one per sub, so about 8000w per sub. It’s literally ripping that wrangler apart piece by piece."

I hate that I can't design right now, but at least I got a video in of a box I worked my butt off on. We had to work really hard to fit these 18's back there, as in a ton of conversations and design time.

That's 2 DD Z4 18's in the back; here's the basic design (we planned it to be modifiable to a degree without compromising anything):

View attachment 36042

View attachment 36043

I forgot how much power it was on and asked, and here's what I was told:

"Two DD M8000s, one per sub, so about 8000w per sub. It’s literally ripping that wrangler apart piece by piece."

That's here where I live. Pretty nice show vehicle for them.

I am in pretty bad shape right now. My back is much better, but I'm suffering from horrible neuro, immune, gut, connective tissue, eyeball, etc., problems. My body is struggling to do basic automatic functions that most people take for granted, so my ETA back to designing is unknown at this time. I wish I knew how much time this would take, and I though once my back got better I'd be fine, but that's turning out to be far from the case. I've been to every doctor type I could find or get a recommendation to go see and nobody knows what makes my body do this. Cold weather does have a huge negative effect on my neuro and connective tissues, specifically, so maybe here within the next month or so, when it gets hot hot in FL, my body will release or relax or whatever. I'm still amazed I can be in this much pain and it not be fatal.

If you've ever had a very bad migraine before where your reality around you changed, then imagine that every day for 10 years, and then apply that migraine feeling to your entire body's nervous system, not just the brain. The past 2 weeks for me have been a constant full body migraine. Honestly, designing boxes helps keep me sane, because it's a distraction from all of my nerve pain. I miss it so much!!! It's hard to feel right about my life; I wish I could return right now. If I did, my entire body would probably wind up having a seizure-like event like I used to, so those are the decisions and consequences I must face daily.

Hope you guys are having a better time than I am. If you pray or send thoughts or meditate energy or whatever, I could use all of it you have.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...