Buck Box Designs 2022 :)

This was the box I designed for a psi level 5 15 that has two ported chambers, sort of like an ABC box, but with just one exiting port. I think the PSI needs a recone, but the owner was still playing it, and the box seemed to work as planned. First time I’ve ever done anything like this one:

View attachment 35495

Here's the design; it's really similar to a series 6th order, just the sub is on the outside of the box:

This sub doesn't have easily available parts atm, so that's why the surround is as it as. Like I say, audio is all about good fun. This box that the owner built will work for other high powered subwoofers, so there's option. Both the owner and I agreed that we could do something different, and it seems to work well, even with the woofer being in the shape it is. Hopefully we can see the full potential of this box with a fresh woofer in there. This box was designed to handle 3500-4500 watts RMS, so it's very high powered single 15 box that's aimed at really being loud across a wide range. That's the whole purpose of this design is to make super heavy lows and try to lightly/smoothly gain some of the higher bass back (say 55-60 hz+), but do so without making a very large bandpass.

This is a Fi Team v3 subwoofer, looks like a 12". Look at the motor structure :oops:

Something about that screams xmax to me. That motor design looks so specifically designed to achieve a purpose. It has to be that the larger diameter motor mass up higher is keeping most of the voice coil in the strongest magnetic parts of the motor gap, then, the bottom part is to allow for the coil to travel very far down into the motor. This is what I like about Fi: they are just straight to the point, it seems. It may take a while to get your woofers, but their subwoofers seem to be almost exclusively designed for very specific and hardcore performance. They are one of my very favorite subwoofer produces, period. This sub is rated for 3500-4500W RMS.

This is a Fi Team v3 subwoofer, looks like a 12". Look at the motor structure :oops:

View attachment 35502

Something about that screams xmax to me. That motor design looks so specifically designed to achieve a purpose. It has to be that the larger diameter motor mass up higher is keeping most of the voice coil in the strongest magnetic parts of the motor gap, then, the bottom part is to allow for the coil to travel very far down into the motor. This is what I like about Fi: they are just straight to the point, it seems. It may take a while to get your woofers, but their subwoofers seem to be almost exclusively designed for very specific and hardcore performance. They are one of my very favorite subwoofer produces, period. This sub is rated for 3500-4500W RMS.
My dream sub right there! Wish I had the dough to run 4 of those

@Buck, have you ever built a box for a 12" sub and a 12v cooler? It's rhino lined now in a Jeep. I think it's 2.6 cubes net. I'm not sure on the tuning but pretty sure it's 32hz.-34hz.

20220126_225309.jpg
Screenshot_20220201-222319_Instagram.jpg

That's not my box, and I'm pretty sure you just do that for attention, not to genuinely asked me if I've done that before. But no, I haven't. All it seems to be is a giant cube inside of the box for cooler space. Seems really straightforward. I don't like how thin that airspace is in between the second port wall and the sub baffle.

Last edited:
Here's the design; it's really similar to a series 6th order, just the sub is on the outside of the box:

View attachment 35496

View attachment 35497

View attachment 35498

View attachment 35499

This sub doesn't have easily available parts atm, so that's why the surround is as it as. Like I say, audio is all about good fun. This box that the owner built will work for other high powered subwoofers, so there's option. Both the owner and I agreed that we could do something different, and it seems to work well, even with the woofer being in the shape it is. Hopefully we can see the full potential of this box with a fresh woofer in there. This box was designed to handle 3500-4500 watts RMS, so it's very high powered single 15 box that's aimed at really being loud across a wide range. That's the whole purpose of this design is to make super heavy lows and try to lightly/smoothly gain some of the higher bass back (say 55-60 hz+), but do so without making a very large bandpass.

I get lows from it even with a sia3500 on it. It allows me to play whatever I want. Dub, r and b, hip hop, all that... I did have the subsonic set too low. So I did some patch work on it but it still hits and still is musical. For a daily setup that people down here think it's a Tahoe coming down the ave, I gotta say Buck did his thing when designing this box. When I decide to up the power I'll report back. Probably once PSI is open to parts orders again.

Buck thanks again we'll do more business in the future

I get lows from it even with a sia3500 on it. It allows me to play whatever I want. Dub, r and b, hip hop, all that... I did have the subsonic set too low. So I did some patch work on it but it still hits and still is musical. For a daily setup that people down here think it's a Tahoe coming down the ave, I gotta say Buck did his thing when designing this box. When I decide to up the power I'll report back. Probably once PSI is open to parts orders again.

Buck thanks again we'll do more business in the future

I think when you get a half bridge amp that this box will really shine. That box is built for high power + large airspace 15, so a half bridge will put out more power across the usable bandwidth and probably increase the usable bandwidth, where you can probably lower your subsonic a little more, but maybe depends on overall wattage applied at that point. I'm really glad that it worked for you. Hopefully now I can continue to understand the new-to-me type of enclosure that we made. I would imagine that someone has done that before, being how similar it is, in a way, to the ABC boxes. The technical name of your box there is still not known to me 😂

With woofers that are higher powered and require a lot of port area, the port has to be extremely long to be tuned low, starting around the mid to high 20 Hz range. Somewhere around that low Hz range is where high powered ported boxes start running into ports being absurdly long. It's funny, because typically the biggest port area I use, the lowest you can usually tune it to is 28 Hz, which is usually the absolute lowest for any normal daily-ish system that I do. You start getting into the port being so long that the port starts acting like a transmission line itself, creating (potentially) an unwanted/unpredictable loading/resistance at that too-long-of-port-length-related-resonance. So, that's sometimes why people with high power will do a series 6th order bandpass for bass that's super low, say mid 20's and below, because the port areas needed and port lengths in a series 6th allows you to avoid both the extra-long port situation AND helps dampen any potential port noise from an under-sized rear port, which allows you to make series 6th orders do almost whatever you want or need them to do.

The problem: Series 6th order bandpasses are massive compared to ported box sizes for the same woofers. That's part of why I wanted to try this specific style of enclosure. I can tune extremely low with this style of enclosure, with 2 ported chambers and the sub firing into the environment like a ported box, and your box is only a little bit bigger than the largest ported box could be for your 15. A series 6th order for that woofer would be about double the size of your box now. That's the advantage to this style is being able to tune super low and have super big port area to avoid port noise and frequency related restrictions to airflow with higher power, but doing so without running into potentially problematic port resonances related to port length. You also get some boost to some higher frequencies that is totally calculated to help boost and sync in with the larger chamber.

There's definitely some situations where I could've used this type of box in the past, where some people have more than enough room to do ported, but didn't have enough room to do a full bandpass. This is a really good middle-ground between a ported and series 6th order bandpass, IMO.

Some new vs old voice coils that are getting torn out and replaced right now on a 4 18's set; these belong to a long time audio friend of mine. The new coils and soft parts are upgrades and more oriented towards music, I believe. Anyways, I'm not 100% sure if the coil on the right came black or not.....haha.

The glow of the new coil is just 👌

That's not my box, and I'm pretty sure you just do that for attention, not to genuinely asked me if I've done that before. But no, I haven't. All it seems to be is a giant cube inside of the box for cooler space. Seems really straightforward. I don't like how thin that airspace is in between the second port wall and the sub baffle.

It was a legit question. The guy wanted a sub and a 12v cooler in his Jeep.

Old video of a customer playing with a box I designed for him for 2 x-15's. These are the 1250 watt v1 x-15's, they did better in 4th order bandpasses, musically, IMO:

I show this video to people to show what Sundown X's can do with lows.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...