Box size too big?

I would get a better box when you decide to get a better sub. Just my two cents, the new RF line up is quiet disapointing.

But yes a good box tuned for the strenghts of the sub will be much better.

I have a Rockford Fosgate P3D2-12 sub and im looking for a box. It says i can have 1.25 cubic feet max for a box. if i buy a box that is 1.3 cubic feet should i be ok? and what does more or less space do to the sound of the sub?
Thanks
All things being equal a larger box will play lower and be more efficient, and generally be less peaky... Differences of say 10% in volume or tuning frequency are probably close to inaudible for your purposes.

In addition to a well made box, attention to position of the box in the car (dependent on the car itself), and orientation of sub/port will make a dramatic difference as well. That's often why the cookie cutter pre-fab boxes often don't work and why many of us re-build so many times to test different things.

Did you just say a larger box is less peaky? While this is relative to the woofer its self, over all this is not true..

Your system is pretty much 30% subwoofer and 70% box/enclosure...A poorly designed/built box can really bring down the overall performance.
This. ^^

Put that in a 2 Cubic foot box, preferably ported. It will only get louder and lower.

If that is a 2010/2011 P3, it will pound the hell out of a big box.

Could you guys suggest a box for me? 12" probably sealed
If you've got at least high school wood shop skills and a couple of tools, just build it yourself. It will cost you around $30 in materials and an hour or 2 of your time.

Especially if you want a sealed box, which are the easiest to build.

Ya you should definitely get a custom box built when you get the subs you want to stick with! I went through about 4 prefabs before finally deciding to get one custom built, and WOW what a difference! Definitely not internet bs! With all my prefabs when I would try to hit a low note it would just sound like the subs were gurgling for air! Now with the custom it hits like a sledgehammer!

Ive actaully heard the new p3's just recently in my guys 350Z build. It was 2 p3 12s and i thought it sounded really good. But ull deff want someone to build you a real box lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.