Box Design in Soul w/ 15"

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey,

As my Christmas break approaches, I need to start wrapping up everything so I can start/finish the project over break! Right now I am asking for suggestions/feedback with my current plan.

I am taking a 2014 Kia Soul's trunk and trying to create a mean SPL machine to compete with (Dream of 145db). I plan to only use SoundQubed equipment, I am OCD. In the album link below I have captured pictures of my trunk, plus my current design scheme with calculations.

Album Link: Kia Soul Project - Imgur

I have calculated out 8.45 Cu.Ft. before wood thickness displacement (Can somebody help me with calculating it with 3/4 wood??). The SQ HDC3 15" has a displacement of .17, so a total of 8.28 Cu.Ft before wood thickness displacement.

In the picture, you can see my current design. I had the sub firing against the trunk/towards cabin, the aero-port opposite side of sub firing upwards towards the ceiling, and the amp mounted above the sub next to the port.

Just in-case this information is needed, I have a SQ 2200.1 amp and planned on buying an adjustable physconaut aeroport.

Am I doing good thus far? Any suggestions at all with this? Anything appreciated, I am just slightly panicked with doing this lol

EDIT: Calculated out Cu.Ft. with wood displacement. Calculated 6.04 with wood displacement, so approximately 5.87 Cu.Ft with HDC3 15" woofer displacement.

Hey,
As my Christmas break approaches, I need to start wrapping up everything so I can start/finish the project over break! Right now I am asking for suggestions/feedback with my current plan.

I am taking a 2014 Kia Soul's trunk and trying to create a mean SPL machine to compete with (Dream of 145db). I plan to only use SoundQubed equipment, I am OCD. In the album link below I have captured pictures of my trunk, plus my current design scheme with calculations.

Album Link: Kia Soul Project - Imgur

I have calculated out 8.45 Cu.Ft. before wood thickness displacement (Can somebody help me with calculating it with 3/4 wood??). The SQ HDC3 15" has a displacement of .17, so a total of 8.28 Cu.Ft before wood thickness displacement.

In the picture, you can see my current design. I had the sub firing against the trunk/towards cabin, the aero-port opposite side of sub firing upwards towards the ceiling, and the amp mounted above the sub next to the port.

Just in-case this information is needed, I have a SQ 2200.1 amp and planned on buying an adjustable physconaut aeroport.

Am I doing good thus far? Any suggestions at all with this? Anything appreciated, I am just slightly panicked with doing this lol
8 gross for 1 15? You have a lot of sketches on that paper. So are you going with the wedge shape?

8 gross for 1 15? You have a lot of sketches on that paper. So are you going with the wedge shape?
To get the maximum size of the box, I would have to go with that wedge shape. The seats slightly incline back into the trunk, so the box is riding against the back seat right to the top of the seat minus height of the amplifier.

wow not alot of space.
my box with 1 hdc3 15" will not fit in that space.
The SQ website reccomends anywhere between 3-6 Cu.Ft., so I thought it would be a perfect fit.

Am I missing something else?

To get the maximum size of the box, I would have to go with that wedge shape. The seats slightly incline back into the trunk, so the box is riding against the back seat right to the top of the seat minus height of the amplifier.

The SQ website reccomends anywhere between 3-6 Cu.Ft., so I thought it would be a perfect fit.

Am I missing something else?
Subwoofer Enclosure Calculators, Parallel, Series, Port Length and Volume put in your dimensions for the wedge calculator.

keep in mind you'll need to account for port displacement after that too. You'll be pressed for airspace.

edit: nvm, forgot you were using an aero, you should be fine for 1 15

i was told by them for the 15" you need 5^3 .

thats what my box is.

3^3 is to small . and 6^3 maybe to big. plus i dont think you have the room for 6^3 .

if you custom make your box to hug that interior you may get a hdc3 15" in there, maybe

Subwoofer Enclosure Calculators, Parallel, Series, Port Length and Volume put in your dimensions for the wedge calculator.
keep in mind you'll need to account for port displacement after that too. You'll be pressed for airspace.
Thank you for this site, I was trying to find it earlier to favorite! I'll have to combine multiple calculators on their for this box, because my wedge is flat at the top. I calculated it on paper as a two squares and a triangle, then added em' up.

I now calculated 6.04 with wood displacement, so approximately 5.87 Cu.Ft with HDC3 15" woofer displacement.

Thank you for this site, I was trying to find it earlier to favorite! I'll have to combine multiple calculators on their for this box, because my wedge is flat at the top. I calculated it on paper as a two squares and a triangle, then added em' up.
I now calculated 6.04 with wood displacement, so approximately 5.87 Cu.Ft with HDC3 15" woofer displacement.
That'll work. What tuning?

That'll work. What tuning?
Great question! I was hoping with an adjustable aero-port, I could find me an SPL meter and adjust it till I was creating the highest SPL.

That is how that works, right? Only reason I want to purchase an adjustable port....

Great question! I was hoping with an adjustable aero-port, I could find me an SPL meter and adjust it till I was creating the highest SPL.That is how that works, right? Only reason I want to purchase an adjustable port....
What size aero?

Great question! I was hoping with an adjustable aero-port, I could find me an SPL meter and adjust it till I was creating the highest SPL.That is how that works, right? Only reason I want to purchase an adjustable port....
you can hit up bill with psychoacoustics or use multiple adjustable 6"s from parts express

you can hit up bill with psychoacoustics or use multiple adjustable 6"s from parts express
Exactly what I was going to do //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

What size aero?
I was going to pick up one of the ones on sell here:

THE PSYCHOACOUSTICS PSYCHOPORT

Either the 6.5" or the 7.5" diameter ports.

I hope you have a alternator coming. I doubt it has more than a 80 amp in it.
About that.... I'll see what I can do, but that might not happen right out the gate. I do have a voltmeter I am going to mount up front, so I'll be keeping a close eye on everything too...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.