Blowing subs and amps at the same time

KicktheSDbasshead

2 builds 2 feet
So I have a question I have seen a couple guys blow amplifiers and subs at the same time I noticed that they have their runs of wire fused to the To the back batteries but from the back batteries it goes straight into the amp without fusing Does anybody think that 1 or the other could have been saved if uses were in place Or doesn't make a difference at all when it comes to fusing

Yes I understand that that part but I was just wondering because because I was trying to figure out if it played apart at all in both pieces of equipment being blown at the same time just looking for an opinion on it that's all

What people say is that the amplifier is going to draw what it needs to draw. If the amplifier exceeded that amount for whatever reason, the thought process is, the amp itself is already messed up and needs to be repaired. But maybe if there was a fuse, it could have saved the sub. Could have....

But maybe if there was a fuse, it could have saved the sub. Could have
Usually a sub fails before the amplifier. I have had fuses pop and amplifiers still worked the same after a fuse swap. Could it be that Class a/b amps are built better? No idea, but amps still work. Failed fuses in my experience were due to exceeding volume (bad recording) and loose power cable (box mounted amp, pulled out slide connector). That loose power cable actually burned out my amp on another occasion.

What subs and which amps?

Amps are meant to have protection circuits to "protect" against being driven into conditions where they will blow themselves up, That sort of circuitry will always work faster than a fuse (which can generally pass far more current than it's rating briefly before opening) and will be far more reliable.

Sure you can always throw a 3A fuse on your 1200W amp and probably never blow your 1000W rated sub or the amp, but for practical purposes, as the troll account said, the job of fuses is just to prevent catastrophic failure (fire) when/if something does go wrong.

What subs and which amps?

Amps are meant to have protection circuits to "protect" against being driven into conditions where they will blow themselves up, That sort of circuitry will always work faster than a fuse (which can generally pass far more current than it's rating briefly before opening) and will be far more reliable.

Sure you can always throw a 3A fuse on your 1200W amp and probably never blow your 1000W rated sub or the amp, but for practical purposes, as the troll account said, the job of fuses is just to prevent catastrophic failure (fire) when/if something does go wrong.
The set up was 4 15inch dc xl elite and 2 B2 audio 16k 2 subs for each amp. One sub and one amp went at the same time

This is the set up
1966.jpg

Wow! nice set up mate! most amplifiers have some sort of protection that will prevent it from damaging speakers / or getting fried. Even if there is a short circuit, and the amp goes into protection mode. Find out what built in protection it may have, as that would give you an impression on possible issues with your system mate.

The set up was 4 15inch dc xl elite and 2 B2 audio 16k 2 subs for each amp. One sub and one amp went at the same time
Not really a surprise he is breaking subs with that much power and from my experience any amp larger than 5K is pretty much a time bomb. Those Korean half-bridge class D amps aren't really bullet proof above about 2K size.
You're never going to fuse those amps adequately to protect either the amp or the subs and it may be impractical to fuse that sort of amp whatsoever.
If you are planning a build like that you had better have an annual budget/plan to break a lot of stuff. Keep recone kits/parts around, have an amp repair shop on speed-dial (or keep a spare amp), and probably plan for parts of your car to break.

Not really a surprise he is breaking subs with that much power and from my experience any amp larger than 5K is pretty much a time bomb. Those Korean half-bridge class D amps aren't really bullet proof above about 2K size.
You're never going to fuse those amps adequately to protect either the amp or the subs and it may be impractical to fuse that sort of amp whatsoever.
If you are planning a build like that you had better have an annual budget/plan to break a lot of stuff. Keep recone kits/parts around, have an amp repair shop on speed-dial (or keep a spare amp), and probably plan for parts of your car to break.
Will do because I plan on going bigger than that

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...