BIG 3: Engine ground too hard to reach, can I bolt it up in a different location?

joelx21
10+ year member

So Cal
As the title says... I'm in the process of doing the BIG 3 on my 2000 V8 Camaro, but the engine ground is just too hard to reach. It's extremely compact under the hood... you can barely see it. Is it ok to relocate the engine ground to a more accessible area? For example, the front side of a head?

Thanks,

Joel

Great to hear that. I was sure that on the older cars, it wasn't much of an issue, but the newer cars have a lot more electronics and I was worried that I would mess something up.

What makes a good ground?

Thanks,

Joel

Since it's getting late, I'm just going to do the two grounds. Unfortunately, I'll have to do the Alt wire during the week.

By bolting up the block ground to the head, I'm going to be using less than half of the original length. Does the block ground need to be a specific length?

Thanks

Looks like I'm going to have to wait til tomorrow. I misplaced my 1 awg brass ring terminals. Automotive stores only go down to 2 awg and the places that carry them are closed for the day. ****!

just don't use the engine as a ground point. should be able to access the frame from underneath, maybe run the wire down under the car.
Here are pics of where I'm planning on doing the block ground

Blockground1.jpg

Blockground2.jpg

Is this a good block ground?

just don't use the engine as a ground point. should be able to access the frame from underneath, maybe run the wire down under the car.

DON'T listen to this guy. He is a ******* retard. Its called a BIG "3" for a reason. Alternator , Engine ground , and body ground. Done any other way it doesnt work. So op , any large bolt on the engine will work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.