Best subs for metal music

best buy also sells mbquart, right? or was that boston? either way, iirc, the 15's had a bit more punch in open airspace, and the 12's had more penatration from the trunk.... just expaerience... i understand it's in the build, but helps if the driver has favorable properties to begin with...

wait, that was polk they also carry, now i remember....

kicker is not as bad as everyone says, but they do now fall in with the stuff like rockford and jl, where some of that cost is going right to buying the name.
JLs prices are high because they do a ton of R&D, have about a 5-1 engineer to marketing rep ratio(for example Memphis is about the opposite, 1 engineer to 5 marketing reps), and have built a great reputation over the years for delivering good products in car, home, and marine audio... id never lump them in as "mainstream" or with rockford or kicker.

JLs prices are high because they do a ton of R&D, have about a 5-1 engineer to marketing rep ratio(for example Memphis is about the opposite, 1 engineer to 5 marketing reps), and have built a great reputation over the years for delivering good products in car, home, and marine audio... id never lump them in as "mainstream" or with rockford or kicker.
I'll agree with you 100% that JL audio products are superior to rockford, kicker, etc. However, their retail prices are a bit inflated. I'm anything but a JL audio basher, I run JL audio w7 subwoofers and I love them, but I would never pay retail cost for them.

Best Buy sells the Alpine Type R's, go with those over the Kicker subs, you won't regret it. Those will sound awesome with metal or cRap. I had a 12" CVX back when I thought they were good and didn't care for the sound of it playing metal in either the sealed or ported box. this was in a Blazer though, not a trunk car, but I'd be willing to bet they'd still be bad. Go with the Type R if you have to go with a mainstream sub on a discount from work. Probably the only good thing Alpine makes anymore.

I'm looking for my very first stereo system as well, and I do listen to mostly metal as well. My question is would these Sound Ordnance speakers be any good for getting that epic double bass kick im looking for?

Sound Ordnance™ B-24 Bandpass enclosure with two 12" subwoofers - at Crutchfield

(it wont let me post the link //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/plthumbsdown.gif.d7966af824c93c6021d1aae1778b1c19.gif )

The price sounds great to me, but im mostly concerned with SOUND QUALITY, and really dont like that annoying drowning out rumble crap where you cant even hear the music you're listening to. I love a good clean quality hit. 300 bucks for the speakers + m2250 amp package in a bandpass enclosure sounds good to me. Are these going to be a good buy for what i'm looking for in a very first sub system?

I'll agree with you 100% that JL audio products are superior to rockford, kicker, etc. However, their retail prices are a bit inflated. I'm anything but a JL audio basher, I run JL audio w7 subwoofers and I love them, but I would never pay retail cost for them.
ya id never pay retail for JL either, people just seem to look at JLs prices and think there pulling high retail prices out of thin air or to "pay for the name". which is complete nonsense. We all know that there are some better finds for cheaper/more power/etc... but those are usually online companies or local only to a certain area. Like for me and many... audioque/sundown/image dynamics/DAD/Incriminator/audiopipe/etc can only be bought online or i make a long drive.

My understanding is that the new Type-R subs (past 2010) have improved in SPL and SQ area. While not the best SQ sub, they should perform well with the right install and they will also take a lot of abuse (within reason). I personally would get one 12 inch subwoofer. For the price of two 10 inch type Rs, I could get one Image Dynamics IDQV3 for around $250 (obviously, not from Best Buy), and IDQ is head and shoulders above Alpine stuff. Another nice and reasonably priced subwoofer is Infinity Kappa 120.9w. I am running one right now in sealed box. Fairly sharp and musical subwoofer with plenty of xmax and with a low-end extension expected of that box time. I don't know if BB sells it.

My understanding is that the new Type-R subs (past 2010) have improved in SPL and SQ area. While not the best SQ sub, they should perform well with the right install and they will also take a lot of abuse (within reason). I personally would get one 12 inch subwoofer. For the price of two 10 inch type Rs, I could get one Image Dynamics IDQV3 for around $250 (obviously, not from Best Buy), and IDQ is head and shoulders above Alpine stuff. Another nice and reasonably priced subwoofer is Infinity Kappa 120.9w. I am running one right now in sealed box. Fairly sharp and musical subwoofer with plenty of xmax and with a low-end extension expected of that box time. I don't know if BB sells it.
just so we're clear, a single IDQ might sound better than two type R woofers, but the two type Rs would murder the IDQ on output.

I want to know where all this JL R&D goes. Is it riding on a 10 year old W7 design? JLs R&D department "Oh! lets paint it black and sell some more guys"

On the HD amp, all they did was take out most of the /s crossover EQ options and shrink it

Okay, so I looked into the Alpine Type R. It is actually going to be more expensive than the Kicker Solo Classic. Is it still a better buy? Remember, I am looking for something I can feel but that is also very accurate for double-bass stuff. I want it to get nice and loud, but I don't need it to be douchebag loud. The two 10" Alpine Type Rs (4ohms) will be about $40 more than two Kicker Solo Classics for me.

I can get the Type R for $95 each and the Kicker Solo Classics for $75 each. Haha, this is why I am looking into it so much. So I have no problem paying $40 more if the Alpine are better...I just always thought Kicker were the best (which apparently isnt true). So cost isn't really a factor, I just want to know which you guys think will be best for my needs.

2 of these

187-10 D4

And this

AQ750 Amplifier

Have somebody on here design you a box and get a sheet of 3/4 MDF from lowes. They will cut to measurements, just glue it together and drill and put some screws in it. If you do a proper ported box it will be great for any music you want to play. Dont listen to sealed has better SQ garbage, that person has never heard a proper box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.