Best subs for metal music

MotleyDeth366
10+ year member

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus and a great employee accomodation from Kicker since I work at Best Buy. I listen to mostly metal music so I was told that 10" subs would be the best for me because they are fasters (for double bass, etc). Is this true? and are their any Kicker subs I should be looking at?

typically yes. depends on efficiency of the woofer. more mass = more power to move the sub quickly. you want a lighter weighted woofer in the soft parts developement.

i would reccomend, for kicker only,

a CVX 10"

Agreed on the CVX if you HAVE to stick with kicker. 10 or 12, doesnt matter. I cant remember if the 15s have a bigger motor and can handle more, but they might be okay depending on that.

I'm obviously a total n00b when it comes to this ****, but is Kicker not as good as I think it is? I mean, I'll end up with that brand regardless just because I get the wicked discount, but I thought they were suppsoed to be one of the best.

Kicker is a lot of hype with the exception of the CVX, solo x and the older round solo-barics. The kickers get loud, but thats about it. I would go with a more SQ oriented brand if you want to have some very articulated bass kicks. The enclosure will have a lot to do with it but it will still help to have a good subwoofer to be the foundation of it all

I'm obviously a total n00b when it comes to this ****, but is Kicker not as good as I think it is? I mean, I'll end up with that brand regardless just because I get the wicked discount, but I thought they were suppsoed to be one of the best.
kicker is a mainstream brand. There are boutique internet brands that most people prefer for various reasons. If you're interested I'm sure people will tell you all about them.

Regardless what woofer you choose, I think it's important to note that for metal, probably the best thing you can do is run a properly designed and built box specifically modeled using the T/S parameters to get the proper damping. There are a bunch of reasons I say this, but for simplicity's sake it will sound less muddy/sloppy and more tight&accurate. A woofer is only as good as the enclosure you put it in.

^Lol

Most woofers have potential. It really comes down to a properly designed enclosure as Butta explained.

First question would be, are you looking for purely a good sounding setup? Or something loud with the punch in the chest?

Kickers not that good. There amps where OK prior to the ZX line, they are decent but better can be found for less. The Warhorse is a joke. But if you can get their stuff at cost I would do CVXs like everybody else said. But can you get Alpine at cost also? The Type R is a much better sub

well, what are you putting it in for starters? if it's a trunk install, i might go with a pair of 12's, suv, probably a single 15. the biggest thing is to have whatever you go with properly tuned.... that is 90% of the battle. kicker is not as bad as everyone says, but they do now fall in with the stuff like rockford and jl, where some of that cost is going right to buying the name. i was around doing thid **** when kicker was still what thier name is riding on. yes, the quality of everything has dropped, but not to the point that it is junk. it is still good, just not great. if you buy a 750, well you get that and a little more, not something like 400, which is what a **** brand would do. their subs, you do now more than half a decade ago, you do have to be more carefull with for cooking, but they are still nice, imho.

If you have access to Alpine Type R, that is a solid "mainstream" sub for the money.

Size of the woofer is unimportant provided it's not complete trash and you build a proper box. Where size does matter is deciding what you can fit in your application. Decide how much space you have and how much power you plan to use and you're a lot closer to making an informed decision.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.