Best SQ subs out there

Participant count
  • Participant list
The enclosure I currently have already takes too much space up in the rear cargo area of my Jeep. I believe it is just over 2 cubes and the Q sounds decent. Initially I wanted to downsize for more cargo space. I quickly learned I would not be happy with that route. Since my Q is so old and taken a beating, I am trying to learn as much as I can about possible upgrades in the near future. I will keep the same enclosure. As far as the power goes, I have the upgraded H7 size Diehard Gold AGM. I am running 0 gauge for power and ground. I think the only addition I would consider would be a higher output alternator, if need be. The teramps HD3000 running the Q did not seem to have any issues until it recently started going into protection mode. I believe the fan stopped working (almost no doubt). So, I am faced with buying a new amp and decided to look at different sub options as well.

If there is an amp around the same size as the Teramps smart 3 that is better, I would be interested. (the sub amp is mounted under the drivers seat.) I would have already purchased a smart 3, however, I continue reading bad reviews about them going into protection mode right out of the box. Since this is my current problem, I am hesitant. Not sure if there is an AB amp out there that would fit under the seat. Thanks for the reply and help.

A class a/b amp that puts out 3kw is going to be 3-4 times the size of the Smart 3. If you think the fan has taken a crap, I'd pull the amp, clean the board and try lubing/replacing the fan.

If you're not getting enough output from your Fi Q, then you have to look at increasing power or a bigger enclosure or both. Is the current enclosure sealed or ported?

A class a/b amp that puts out 3kw is going to be 3-4 times the size of the Smart 3. If you think the fan has taken a crap, I'd pull the amp, clean the board and try lubing/replacing the fan.

If you're not getting enough output from your Fi Q, then you have to look at increasing power or a bigger enclosure or both. Is the current enclosure sealed or ported?
ported

I did have the Q in a larger ported enclosure a few years back. It was in the trunk of a Lexus IS and was incredibly loud. With the seats down, it made my eyes water and tickled my throat. I think I was only giving it 1200 watts on a JBL BP1200.1 at the time.

I think I will just pull the amp out and see if I can clean it and lube the fan somehow. I mentioned that in a different post. I have never opened an amp up though.

It turns on every once in a while when I first start the jeep and then goes into protection mode as soon as I turn it up. It is definitely heat related, as I noticed it would stay on at low volume, with the AC blowing on the floor. The Texas heat is new and crazy to me.

ported

I did have the Q in a larger ported enclosure a few years back. It was in the trunk of a Lexus IS and was incredibly loud. With the seats down, it made my eyes water and tickled my throat. I think I was only giving it 1200 watts on a JBL BP1200.1 at the time.

I think I will just pull the amp out and see if I can clean it and lube the fan somehow. I mentioned that in a different post. I have never opened an amp up though.

It turns on every once in a while when I first start the jeep and then goes into protection mode as soon as I turn it up. It is definitely heat related, as I noticed it would stay on at low volume, with the AC blowing on the floor. The Texas heat is new and crazy to me.
That FI 3.5 sub is an awesome sub for a ported SQ system. I recently did an enclosure for the FI 3.5 neo 18 inch sub and it is quite impressive. I’m getting the 12 inch version for myself. I’m going to put mine in 2.5 cubes tuned to 30 HZ.

Last edited:
ported

If the fan took a dive.. Its not very hard to locate a replacement on line(Parts Express,E-bay even, and other electronic sites).You can find a Plug and play replacement. google the existing to see what CFM it is and get the same or one with just a bit more doesnt hurt other than noise/more air movement. Also helps to place a couple washers of something to raise the amplifier off the surface to get some air circulation around the bottom of that amp or any amplifier

You might take a look at these amps. This one has Dual cooling fans decent Dyno on it. Might be something to look at to be considered

Amazon product ASIN B092511SYL

Amazon product ASIN B09252T1XS

You must've gotten a bad one...neither the smart 3 im running or ts400x4 I had for awhile where noisy in the slightest...
It doesn't sound defective by any means. The sound just feels empty compared to my orion.
You must've gotten a bad one...neither the smart 3 im running or ts400x4 I had for awhile where noisy in the slightest...
It doesn't sound defective; it sounds cheap and lacking.

If the fan took a dive.. Its not very hard to locate a replacement on line(Parts Express,E-bay even, and other electronic sites).You can find a Plug and play replacement. google the existing to see what CFM it is and get the same or one with just a bit more doesnt hurt other than noise/more air movement. Also helps to place a couple washers of something to raise the amplifier off the surface to get some air circulation around the bottom of that amp or any amplifier
I will definitely try this first. It is sitting on the floor, carpet now. The Jeep gets pretty damn hot here in San Antonio. Thank you for the advice

I’ve never heard of them. But I will check them out if I cannot get the fan fixed in the current amp. Thank you
Stepson has been around for a very long time. Easy enough to google and research the brand. I think Big D Wiz has some of the older cream of the crop made amplifiers in his collection? They make a great product. That fan should be an easy fix for you. take your time, and make sure you purchase a 12v fan and not a computer fan for the replacement

Stepson has been around for a very long time. Easy enough to google and research the brand. I think Big D Wiz has some of the older cream of the crop made amplifiers in his collection? They make a great product. That fan should be an easy fix for you. take your time, and make sure you purchase a 12v fan and not a computer fan for the replacement
Will do. Should have it figured out by next week

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...