Best Sub under 6" mounting depth

Speaking generally, you may or may not have room for most 12's. We'll know for sure when we know either dimensions or cubic feet.

However, the SI BM would almost certainly work as they excel in small applications. They are incredibly transparent, blend exquisitely, and will be something to boast about to your SQ friends. On the other hand, they will not be drivers normally used to "quake as hard as possible".

If you decide you want more output, Skar VVX, Sundown SA, DD 1500 lines all come to mind as popular choices.

To the O.P., a woofer needs to have space to displace air. The larger the surface area of the woofer, the more displacement it will naturally need. You're talking about 9.5 ft^2 of area just for the woofers alone leaving very little room for displacement with three 12 inch woofers. With tens, you're talking about 7.2 ft^2 of space which leaves that extra room for displacement which will result in a better, lower frequency response.

On a completely unrelated note, I've worked in consumer electronics for eight years now. I've sold home theater systems totaling up to 83,000 dollars. Every now and again we get the imbecile that decides that they know what they want but that they want to ask a sales associate anyway. These are generally the idiots that walk in there, waste your time and then ask, "Well what about the Bose?" You can break down all the statistics in the world for them and even play an audible demo for them proving that there is superior equipment out there, but their minds are already made up. Sure, I'll sell it to them; it's no sweat off my back that they are getting inferior equipment out there for a higher cost particularly given their lack of etiquette, but they have no right to complain when their outputs are outdated one month from now and replacing it would require replacing the entire thing is inundated or when one speaker blows and the company is forcing them to buy a whole new system.

What does this have to do with any of this? Right now, you are being that customer. The people here have post totals in the thousands and are considerably more well versed than you are in the field yet you continue to insist that you know what is best. Your own naivety annoys them not just because you're questioning them, but also shooting yourself in the foot. The people here are obviously passionate in what they do while you're a novice in the field. It would be best for you to heed their recommendations and go with smaller drivers with more room for displacement.

That being said, I am in a similar predicament. I just bought a 2011 Ford Ranger and am looking to put a subwoofer or two under the seat or seats. Size is irrelevant, I just want it to sound the best it possibly can. I can theoretically spend up to 800 dollars and have access to discounts with the likes of Kicker, Infinity/J.B.L. and Kenwood, though I'm certainly not going to limit myself to those brands. I already have 6.5" Infinity Kappa Perfects for the front and the rears being driven by an Infinity Kappa Four. I have the Alpine INA-W910 for a headunit.

I've heard 12's under seats and they sound horrible. Mind you they were not done right. I think you'd be surprised with what 3 stong 8's could do in say 1.75~2cu/ft ported.

Yeah obviously I read it, I responded to it. I understand you want me thinking 8's and 10's which i'm fine with, that's why the suggestions I listed were tens...but I have seen plenty of people running 12's so I know it's ok to.
Listen to what Bettr' is saying. He knows what he is talking about and I fully back up his statement. What he is saying is true. Yes, people are running 12's in trucks, but they aren't doing them ported. If they are, sounds like crap. I have a 4 door 2008 Sierra. My 12's are under my rear seats and I have much deeper mounting depth than you do and I didnt even have to jack up my seats. I am running a box with a mounting depth of 6.5" and each chamber has .83 cu ft. Thats 1.66 cu ft total. Thats not enough to port two 12's or really even two 10's when you weigh in that your port is going to take up a 1/3rd of that space leaving you with roughly 1 cu ft total minus some more space for sub displacement. That would be .5 cu ft per 12. Now you are talking about 3 12's? 33.3333 cu ft of airspace per sub?

Take the advice of the people on the board. I'm running 2 12" Resonant Engineering SE's SEALED and after sub displacement, I barely have enough airspace to run my 2 12's. Im stepping down so I can get some subs that will perform better. We have pickups bro. We are kinda screwed

"a ton of room" and "under the seats" dont belong in the same sentence.
try playing with winisd, it will give you a feel for how much airspace is needed for a woofer to sound good (flat frequency response). and L7s like huge boxes although any kicker dealer will try to tell you that you can fit 2 behind the seats of a single cab...

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

missed a post i assume. your good at that
The OP is talking about running 3 12's ported in a F-150 under the seats and you tell him to go play with WinISD? Really? lol

No offense OP

Lol no , that's not what I meant. Im saying the OP is thinking he can port 3 12's under his seat, so I think WinISD is a little above him.

Listen to what Bettr' is saying. He knows what he is talking about and I fully back up his statement. What he is saying is true. Yes, people are running 12's in trucks, but they aren't doing them ported. If they are, sounds like crap. I have a 4 door 2008 Sierra. My 12's are under my rear seats and I have much deeper mounting depth than you do and I didnt even have to jack up my seats. I am running a box with a mounting depth of 6.5" and each chamber has .83 cu ft. Thats 1.66 cu ft total. Thats not enough to port two 12's or really even two 10's when you weigh in that your port is going to take up a 1/3rd of that space leaving you with roughly 1 cu ft total minus some more space for sub displacement. That would be .5 cu ft per 12. Now you are talking about 3 12's? 33.3333 cu ft of airspace per sub?
Take the advice of the people on the board. I'm running 2 12" Resonant Engineering SE's SEALED and after sub displacement, I barely have enough airspace to run my 2 12's. Im stepping down so I can get some subs that will perform better. We have pickups bro. We are kinda screwed
Thank you sir... And yes I have owned a few and unless you wanna take up the back seat with box like I did then your limited to what your gunna get...

For the 50th time you can fit 12's under the seat but they are in boxes that are much much to small... and like I said I can not tell you what subs without knowing how much power and the exact box specs (cubic feet and what its tuned to)
how could he have a box built and tuned with no subs picked out?

anyways.. op go measure your dimensions avaible so we can see this air space instead of guessing

how could he have a box built and tuned with no subs picked out?

anyways.. op go measure your dimensions avaible so we can see this air space instead of guessing
Pretty god d@mn easily... Easy as walking into a shop and saying I need a box built //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

DSC01763.jpg

^^^^^^ Proper sized ported box for 3 12's. If you have 12 cube gross under your seats I'll eat my hat.

This would be a good shallow mount 10.

Tang Band WT-1427G 10" Neo Subwoofer

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.