Best Sub under 6" mounting depth

chrisstanton32
10+ year member

I understand that a thread similar to this one may have previously been posted so please, no foul response.

I have just bought a 2011 F150 and plan to raise the back seats up 2" for a bit more clearance. My local car audio shop measured today and said I should find the best sub under 6" mounting depth. He said he would like a sub with around 5 1/2" mounting depth and he said he would port the box so we're looking at probably 2 or 3 12's. I have a Planet Audio 1250w amp. Please list for me your opinion on the best subwoofer I can buy for this size. Budget is not an issue. Looking more towards SQ but of course I want it to quake as hard as possible. I know I may be limited to a shallow mount like a TW5 or BM MKIII but would like to know all of my best options if I can go without a shallow mount. Thank you guys.

There is a ton of room under there though, surprisingly, because there is nothing in the middle for the 60/40 seat. it's all open and flat. adding a seat lift will give it 2'' also. He took a rough measurement and said he might could port it. He had some math to do. He said he might can port down and might have to port forward. Ported or sealed though... What would be your opinion?

He took a rough measurement and said he might could port it. He had some math to do. He said he might can port down and might have to port forward. Ported or sealed though... What would be your opinion?
Im sure he can port it just fine but to port a box that small with 3 12's is a waste and will sound horrible... You have to have so much air space for a woofer to perform correctly Id but you have enough room for a couple 8's ported or maybe two tens sealed

Im sure he can port it just fine but to port a box that small with 3 12's is a waste and will sound horrible... You have to have so much air space for a woofer to perform correctly Id but you have enough room for a couple 8's ported or maybe two tens sealed
Which sub under 6" do you suggest?

8's and 10's you means?
No i mean what sub under 6" mounting depth do you suggest..

maybe a Kicker L7 10" or Alpine S-series or a Kicker CompVX 10'' or P3 ...I would like to go 12's of course but... I'm open to any and all suggestions because I am not that familiar with this topic.

No i mean what sub under 6" mounting depth do you suggest..maybe a Kicker L7 10" or Alpine S-series or a Kicker CompVX 10'' or P3 ...I would like to go 12's of course but... I'm open to any and all suggestions because I am not that familiar with this topic.
Did you not read what I posted? lol

OP lemme just break it down for ya real quick like. You may be able to fit 3 12's behind your seats, but that doesn't mean it will be the ideal specs for 3 12's. In other words, when the box is too small for a sub, it becomes very peaky and doesn't sound very good. 3 12's ported is a big box, roughly 7-8 cubes gross, depending on what kind of subs they are.

You would get the most out of your system if you went with some 8's or 10's. 6" depth 12's will be on the "shallow mount" side and shallow mounts aren't exactly known for their performance. You would be much better off getting an 8 or a 10 that is more fit for the job by being shallow depth to begin with. In the right setup, 8's can be very loud.

Did you not read what I posted? lol
Yeah obviously I read it, I responded to it. I understand you want me thinking 8's and 10's which i'm fine with, that's why the suggestions I listed were tens...

but I have seen plenty of people running 12's so I know it's ok to.

OP lemme just break it down for ya real quick like. You may be able to fit 3 12's behind your seats, but that doesn't mean it will be the ideal specs for 3 12's. In other words, when the box is too small for a sub, it becomes very peaky and doesn't sound very good. 3 12's ported is a big box, roughly 7-8 cubes gross, depending on what kind of subs they are.
You would get the most out of your system if you went with some 8's or 10's. 6" depth 12's will be on the "shallow mount" side and shallow mounts aren't exactly known for their performance. You would be much better off getting an 8 or a 10 that is more fit for the job by being shallow depth to begin with. In the right setup, 8's can be very loud.
Thank you

I'm going under the seats... not behind them..

There is a ton of room under them especially after I lift them 2 more inches. I'm not exactly sure the cube yet. I'll probably find that out tomorrow.

I'm going under the seats... not behind them..There is a ton of room under them especially after I lift them 2 more inches. I'm not exactly sure the cube yet. I'll probably find that out tomorrow.
I think you would be much happier to get some beefy 8's or 10's and throw like 1000-1500 at them. In a situation like this, less is more.

I'm going under the seats... not behind them..There is a ton of room under them especially after I lift them 2 more inches. I'm not exactly sure the cube yet. I'll probably find that out tomorrow.
I just calculated a guys box space for a new f 250 behind the seat and it was 1 cubic foot... It may look like there is a ton of room but there isnt, thats barely enough room to run one 8 ported after sub and port displacement

"a ton of room" and "under the seats" dont belong in the same sentence.

try playing with winisd, it will give you a feel for how much airspace is needed for a woofer to sound good (flat frequency response). and L7s like huge boxes although any kicker dealer will try to tell you that you can fit 2 behind the seats of a single cab...

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

I just calculated a guys box space for a new f 250 behind the seat and it was 1 cubic foot... It may look like there is a ton of room but there isnt' date=' thats barely enough room to run one 8 ported after sub and port displacement[/quote']
missed a post i assume. your good at that

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.