Best Amp specs to power my Sony XS-L120B5D 2x12" Subwoofer setup

****! Figures. It JUST got traded as I was writing to him that i would buy it. This is fun. If you can find another that's around 60 shipped, I'll do it!

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Matt, your subs are capable of being wired down to 1ohm, where there is a VAST pool of amplifiers that will easily power the setup and give you room to grow when you're ready to upgrade, at a very attractive price as well. Look for any amp that can do 500+watts RMS at 1ohm. Again, there are a large assortment of amplifiers that can easily do this you should easily find a winner. I think I saw an Audiopipe ASPM-1300 around here for under 100 bucks. It will do at least 1000@1ohm and give you room to grow. Take a look into it.
Nobody has mentioned this yet, and don't take this as an insult, but those woofers are at the bottom of the spectrum of what we usually utilize around here. I think everybody has been friendly about it because you are asking legitimate questions without sounding/acting retarded. I applaud you for this. Keep coming back with questions before you make any big decisions and we will readily help you along the way!
Thank you - I appreciate that!

Keep your eyes peeled. I picked up an alpine mrp-m500 for seventy a couple Weeks ago. Good deals happen pretty regularly on nice equipment on this site.

Trying to get this for $40.
Ok, I have it all in-hand $40 isn't bad. This will help me learn more about this stuff. It HAS to be better that my current pioneer amp.

I appreciate all the help you guys have given.

Thanks Again,

Matt!

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best $40 I've ever spent (share my excitement, i'm new at this!)

I had no idea what I was missing!!! WOWOWOW!!

I have the bass bost and the gain turned down to half and it is amaaaazing. I didn't want to go any higher until I know how to set and optimize the settings on the amp (pic below).

Let the learning begin....(the high pass freq and the sensitivity are the only settings that are comp0letely new to me - oh, and the high pass inputs on the left)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks to you all, I have officially been bitten by "the bug"

Also, since I don't have the remote for the bass control, I have a quick question - does that knob take place of one of the controls on the back? That is - am i actually missing anything, or does the bass boost control, for example, do the same thing, and it's just not as convenient as having it on a remote... (if anyone has one for cheap, i'll buy!)

Keep that bass boost at 0 and only increase power with the gain. Bass boost = distortion.
It doesn't always but you have to have constant control over it and know what the subs and amps limits are along with properly set gains, I have used one for years along with a in line attenuation knob and haven't killed anything yet.

It doesn't always but you have to have constant control over it and know what the subs and amps limits are along with properly set gains, I have used one for years along with a in line attenuation knob and haven't killed anything yet.

gonna go ahead and doubt that OP is properly equipped for this type of use. Lol, I've never heard a woofer sound better bass boosted than unboosted. I know it doesn't always blow stuff up, but I've never heard it sound cleaner.

gonna go ahead and doubt that OP is properly equipped for this type of use. Lol, I've never heard a woofer sound better bass boosted than unboosted. I know it doesn't always blow stuff up, but I've never heard it sound cleaner.
you might be right I have RF amps and they only boost one freq with a very steep slope falling off after the peak so that might make a difference all my other amps didn't have any type of boost.

you might be right I have RF amps and they only boost one freq with a very steep slope falling off after the peak so that might make a difference all my other amps didn't have any type of boost.

yeah, I've just never had luck with boost so I always made sure I had more than enough power so that gain alone would properly destroy my subs. lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.