Beginning Build

yokedaddy

CarAudio.com Newbie
I've been building my 95 xj for about a year now and starting to get into the realm of interior comfort and looking to get a better audio experience as the stock 25 year old speakers dont quite meet my goals, knowing nothing at all about audio setups I'm coming to yall to look for advice about what all i need to look for and purchase. Not looking for anything crazy, just nice quality and a good amount of bass. Working with a highschool budget (2k ish) but not strict on it. any help is greatly appreciated as far as brands and just different general 'things' I need. Thanks

I've been building my 95 xj for about a year now and starting to get into the realm of interior comfort and looking to get a better audio experience as the stock 25 year old speakers dont quite meet my goals, knowing nothing at all about audio setups I'm coming to yall to look for advice about what all i need to look for and purchase. Not looking for anything crazy, just nice quality and a good amount of bass. Working with a highschool budget (2k ish) but not strict on it. any help is greatly appreciated as far as brands and just different general 'things' I need. Thanks
I recommend crutchfield.com. They have an application that allows you to insert your vehicle information and give you recommendations based on your vehicle. You can choose based on your budget and reviews. Good luck.

Last edited:
Not looking for anything crazy, just nice quality and a good amount of bass.
A simple and good install would be a single DIN JVC Media player, Pioneer or Kenwood door speakers connected to the radio. For bass, a combo deal like this would be your best bet-
Screenshot_20230508-224637.png

If the box dimensions are too big, they also carry it in 12 and 10 inch versions. The good thing about this setup is it will not overtax your electrical.

I would do as recommended as to go to C.field and see what size speakers fit the locations as well as an aftermarket HU for reference, and go with a decent component set up front and a nice ported enclosure for a single 10 or 12 and a decent amplifier or two., maybe even a decent 5 ch. Kenwood/JVC HU are usually a great brand to go with and you can find one with wiring harness and dash kits from places like Sonic Electronix and even C.field. There should be a Sale going on for Mothers Day on some sites. I can try and look some things up and make recommendations, as other will as well.A $2k budget is a bit tight but can be done. Dont expect to be heard down the block though

$2k is not bad. The first question would be: Do you want BASS?
If you do, then you need sub(s), an amp, wiring + extras like fuse holders and fuses, and the big 3.

If you want a subwoofer that just sounds good with the music, then you MIGHT be able to get away with not upgrading an alternator (if you are on stock). If you want bass that you can feel, expect you will need an alternator too, and between the electrical upgrades, a cheap sub and amp, and unless you can find some serious deals, then there goes half your budget.

Any decent head unit should be $100-$150, unless you want navigation, and then you are closer to $1k for a good one.

If you haven't bought anything, then I would suggest planning out your entire build, unless you find a screaming deal on something you might want, (feel free to post it in here and ask, and we can usually give you a good idea if it is). 4th of july (and black friday), are usually the good audio sales for the year. This is also a link I always post that I think has great deals.

Crutchfield is a fantastic website. They will price match. They offer 3 months of phone support for everything they sell (included). They are very knowledgeable before the sale. Their website is incredibly easy to use and well designed. They will include install accessories for free, (i.e. with a head unit they will include: the harness adapter, the radio mount, the antenna adapter, the wiring instructions specifically for the head unit you buy, and your vehicle, all for free).

I don't think there is a better car audio website, and they have earned that top spot. To anyone who is learning or needing help, you HAVE to at least see what they can offer you, help you with. It won't be a waste of time.

This would be a really nice set up for that vehicle. You may have a little extra to get some deadner for the front doors at the least

Last edited:
This would be a really nice set up for that vehicle. You may have a little extra to get some deadner for the front doors at the least

That Amp calls for a 160 amp fuse. I think the kit comes with a 300.You could do a 250- 300 at the battery with another anl fuse holder with the 160 at the amplifier. Kind of an unusual amperage fuse required for that amp. Its not very common. Id pick up at least 4 or so for as cheap as they are on Amazon or ? so you have a spare to throw in the glove box. You could prob get by with a 150 to be honest. But.. ..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...