battery or cap?

cbuts
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
running Rockford fosgate 1500 1bd and hifonics 500 rms for speakers.

getting HUGE healight dim and battery voltage drop.

if I should be getting a battery what should I be looking for?

I have a 4 door truck with everything mouted behind the seats.

also thinking I need an alternator upgrade which im going to do.

thanks!

How old is your battery and alternator? 2k RMS is in the "iffy" range.

If your battery is just old, an AGM under the hood may solve your problems. Depending on your truck, the stock alt may be weak, but I wouldn't spend the money on a HO alt for your amps.

How much money do you want to spend, and how "proper" do you want to do things?

so you think pass on the alt? mines 140a I believe. using my red top atm under hood..big 3 wiring on the way, does this need to be fused? I didn't in my car.

where could I put a second battery in a truck?

thanks

battery no doubt ' i had a duralast battery for 5 years installed ' audio system 1000rms memphis 2 american bass XFL 4 gauge wire ofc ' and big 3 o gauge ' i put a cap didnt help with dimming no lie it was a 5 farad stinger voltage was 14 drop to 11.9 i was like hell no change battery to a yellow top optima badda-bin-badda-boom ' 14 lowest to drop was 12.6 no more dimming ' planning on putting a xs power d3400 up front and put yellow on back i have a 2007 f150

battery no doubt ' i had a duralast battery for 5 years installed ' audio system 1000rms memphis 2 american bass XFL 4 gauge wire ofc ' and big 3 o gauge ' i put a cap didnt help with dimming no lie it was a 5 farad stinger voltage was 14 drop to 11.9 i was like hell no change battery to a yellow top optima badda-bin-badda-boom ' 14 lowest to drop was 12.6 no more dimming ' planning on putting a xs power d3400 up front and put yellow on back i have a 2007 f150
where do you hide your wire? I have 0 gauge on the way, but what fuse should I order, like I said never fused in my car lol

what wire the big 3 wire or the wire for the amps . ?

wire of the amps i hide it on the side panel of the floor ' i fuse my wire up front in battery i have my amps under neath my back seat ' some people fuse there close to there amps ' and my big 3 i dont have it fused '

If you want a more permanent install for wire, pull up your carpet and take out seats to run the wire with the factory wires going back. Or for temporary, try hiding the wire under the trim panels or underneath the truck. For fuses up front, a 1500 watt amp generally uses 150 amps, so get something bigger than 150, like 250 amp or 300 amp. For the alternator big 3, i would probably go with a 300 amp

If you want a more permanent install for wire, pull up your carpet and take out seats to run the wire with the factory wires going back. Or for temporary, try hiding the wire under the trim panels or underneath the truck. For fuses up front, a 1500 watt amp generally uses 150 amps, so get something bigger than 150, like 250 amp or 300 amp. For the alternator big 3, i would probably go with a 300 amp
ok lll get a 300 amp. thanks

so you think pass on the alt? mines 140a I believe. using my red top atm under hood..big 3 wiring on the way, does this need to be fused? I didn't in my car.where could I put a second battery in a truck?

thanks
Just fuse positive wires

Optima batteries are now shit. Do not buy them. Get an AGM that is made by East Penn (Deka or another name) or Exide (which would be more expensive).

A 140 amp alternator isn't great, but it's not terrible.

An Exide groub 65 AGM would cost $200 at our shop. A 300 amp alternator is in the $500 dollar range depending on which brand you get. Try the battery and big three first before you get an alternator.

Also, make sure to double check your grounds. Depending on how old the install is, there may be corrosion building up at your ground points. Re-sanding may help

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.