Average cost of MDF?

My point was it ignores amplifier efficiency when you size wires by amplifier output... even when using actual measured output, not just rated output. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Guys, be careful to not confuse a wire capacity chart with a line-loss chart. Most wire sizing charts you see deal with acceptable line loss (2% usually) when recommending wire size for a given current flow. This is affected by wire length, as the longer the piece of wire, the more resistance it will display, no matter what gauge it is. But when sizing fuses, wire specifically has a maximum current flow it is rated for that is NOT affected by length, only the amount of copper in the wire (basically).
I may be misunderstanding, but the relevance in this thread is amp to sub...not power supply(battery/alt) to amp.

I may be misunderstanding, but the relevance in this thread is amp to sub...not power supply(battery/alt) to amp.
Maybe Im the one misunderstanding, but he asked if 4ga is sufficient for 1250 watts. That sounds like he is discussing batt-to-amplifier to me. The subsequent replies on how many watts are okay to run on what gauge wire are definitely discussing batt/alt-to-amplifier. And that is where amplifier efficiency is being ignored.

Truth be told my point isn't hugely important, amp's efficiency ratings are all relatively close these days, especially at full output. But imo its still a better practice to simply find out your amplifier's maximum input draw, and use that number along with a wire sizing chart and run length to determine proper wire size. Once that wire gauge is determined, consult a wire capacity chart to find the correct sized fuse for that wire.

most amp manufacturers list maximum input draw, for this exact reason.

Maybe Im the one misunderstanding, but he asked if 4ga is sufficient for 1250 watts. That sounds like he is discussing batt-to-amplifier to me. The subsequent replies on how many watts are okay to run on what gauge wire are definitely discussing batt/alt-to-amplifier. And that is where amplifier efficiency is being ignored.
Truth be told my point isn't hugely important, amp's efficiency ratings are all relatively close these days, especially at full output. But imo its still a better practice to simply find out your amplifier's maximum input draw, and use that number along with a wire sizing chart and run length to determine proper wire size. Once that wire gauge is determined, consult a wire capacity chart to find the correct sized fuse for that wire.

most amp manufacturers list maximum input draw, for this exact reason.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif now I realize that I thought this was a different thread......you are correct. sorry for the confusion.

http://caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348489

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.