Mounting MDF rings to sheet metal, (with minimal access to behind).

Participant count
  • Participant list
I am going to mount some components to my factory C pillars. It's on a pickup and the factory speaker is a 4 x6". The sheet metal has about a 2" gap between where it will mount and the outer body metal. I'm going to do a slight trim on the raised surface, and install a 6.5" midrange their. I think I have how I want to do it, but wondering if someone had something to offer.

I have a precut MDF ring that I am going to mount to the sheet metal to raise the mounting surface. I've done something similar for subs in a custom box, but my plan is:

- Mount the speakers to the mdf ring so I know where the holes are going to mount, and mark the ring so I can keep the angle correct.
- Drill holes between my speaker mounting holes through the ring, and drill through the sheet metal.
- Then I drill a second hole a little bigger in the mdf as deep as the t-nuts and mount t-nuts on the outside face of the rings, pulling them flush and using a clamp if need to so they sit level or as close as I can (under where the speaker will mount).
- From the backside I feed a button head bolt with washer, (and between the washer to sheet metal I add a little deadener). I will have to figure out the right length bolt to buy or cut so it sits just below the top of the T-nut. I don't have the room to fit a 90 degree/slim bit driver. ( I might even have to feed them all in, and slowly tighten them together). What I do is dremel cut a groove into the flat thread end of the bolt. That way I can tighten the bolt from the outside with a flathead screwdriver, and tighten it through and with the T-nut.
I think I will put some medium loctite under the t-nuts.
- Then add some deadener or foam or some seal, on top of the mdf ring and mount the speaker.

Is that... good enough? Is there a better way to do this that I'm not thinking of?

just use riv-nuts or clip-nuts, made for blind fastening. some window weld should hold the ring on there pretty good..... being 4x6, you could even do a steel or aluminum adapter plate, just using tin snips, etc. youll get some good overlapping reinforcement. watch for echoing, ressonance in those pillars.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...